First Houseboat Trip and first post to Iboats

Well just booked and paid for our first houseboat trip with family and friends. 13 of us in all with 3 personal boats. Heading to Lake Cumberland in mid June. Jamestown Marina. We cant wait. The warm weather cant come fast enough. Its about a 7 hr drive and just want to get to relaxing. Been looking at the lake reports for a month now.

Drive Oil changed, impeller changed, engine oil changed, trailer bearings greased now just getting new tires for the trekk. The old ones have spider cracks.

Alreading starting to pack a few things and going over the list of stuff to bring. LOL

Can you tell I,m excited!!!!!!!!!:D

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First Houseboat Trip and first post to Iboats

Welcome to Iboats.
Sounds like a fun trip. Let us know how it all works out. Don't forget the pics.

southkogs

Staff member

Mid-June will be nice for ya'. Hot enough to make being on the lake fun, but not stifling like we get in July & August. I've driven through that area several times, but haven't been on the lake.

Welcome aboard!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It will be a blast, I have done that several times.

Edit : A fyi, thats in a dry area so you need to bring your own adult beverages cause you wont find any for sale.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member

Welcome to iboats, Challenger! Rule number #1, we love pictures, so document this trip well and post lots of pictures! Sounds like a fun trip!

rjh8115

Cadet

We did that trip back in 2011. It was the best vacation by far! I can't wait to do it again.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lake Cumberland is a beautiful piece of water. If you do take adult beverages, be discreet and use a cup. Don't be seen (you or your guests) drinking from a bottle or can. Kentucky authorities are fairly rigid in their enforcement of boating under the influence laws.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^ As well as TN authorities are the same way.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

park it and enjoy your beverages.

I did a long weekend on a houseboat once and it was awesome.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Been several times on HB's. My favorite vacation. The biggest suggestion I can contribute is to make sure that you all have the financial contributions worked out, and that the itinerary is discussed so all feel involved. If there is not a leader, these things can get screwy, and if there is a leader, they can also get screwy. Good to have it discussed. Friends and Family is the best combination, but there can be little issues that develop, and you certainly don't want mutiny! :eek:

I preach safety even more on these trips. One wrong move can mean that the whole trip is messed up, and that can be just as simple as a cut that needs stitches, or a knee. So much more at risk than a typical day trip.

Have fun! Stagger the towed boats. Figure out a routine for getting them tied up and released before and after beaching. I have done two a lot; three will be some work.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was too brief on my comment about KY authorities and alcohol. It's when on the personal boats away from the mother ship houseboat that one needs to be discreet with the alcohol. And the authorities are merely trying to prevent the reoccurrence of fatal alcohol-related boating accidents on Kentucky waters. There have been a few in the last ten years or so.

Last edited:

Thanks guys for the advice and heads up. We and the rest of the crew cant wait to go. Our boat and trailer is all ready to make the trip and we are as well. It looks like the water is back to normal as well. Hope it will be warm enough by mid June. We will take a bunch of pictures and post them on iboats.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

the water will be perfect come mid June. It's showing 78 degrees right now.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Dale Hollow and Norris Lake in Tennessee also have many rental houseboats. Good thing is that they have a full pool of water in Summer.

I wonder if the dam repairs at Lake Cumberland are finally complete? If so, maybe the water level will improve over years past.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

it is and now it was about some sort of darter fish they discovered but apparently that's all worked out now.

I guess they figured out it can survive in deeper water.