First Boat : Starcraft Restoration - Mid 60's Unknown & Need Guidance

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: First Boat : Starcraft Restoration - Mid 60's Unknown & Need Guidance

For checking the integrity of the transom you drill a few pilot holes. Take a drill bit and put a piece of tape about 3/4" of the way up and drill test holes look at the shavings bright and dry is good dark and wet means its time to replace the transom.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

How exciting... big boxes of new boat goodies!

For checking the integrity of the transom you drill a few pilot holes. Take a drill bit and put a piece of tape about 3/4" of the way up and drill test holes look at the shavings bright and dry is good dark and wet means its time to replace the transom.

You drill this on the exterior side of the boat? So if it's dry and bright now you've just created openings that allow more moisture in? Just glass back over it or what? Thanks for the tip!

jbcurt00

Staff member

NO, from the inside. NEVER from the outside.. use the tape as a depth guage so you DON'T drill thru the hull to the outside 1-1.25" deep, to just past the center of the tranosm's thickness

barato2

Commander

no, drill from the INside....that's why you mark the drill bit, so you don't accidentally drill through the outer layer. and yes, you can easily fill the holes with resin.

Well guys, finally got around to tinkering some more on the boat and aiming at getting the motor started. I also got a scope and looked into the bottom, I believe the strainers to be all fiberglass but I'm going to go ahead and cut out a square to inspect once I see if I can salvage this motor. Just made a new thread int he appropriate location, so if you can help out please let me know!

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ds/7474330-45hp-chrysler-no-spark-overheating