First boat questions

KJMach

Cadet
In the process of buying my first boat. I test drove it and it runs great. Its a 1993 sea ray 170 17' with a 3.0l mercruiser. The interior looks just about perfect and original. 3 owners all that knew eachother. Im a diesel tech by trade, so i gave it a pretty good look engine wise. Started great cold and after a hot soak. Has that slight hesitation when plaining off cold like it seems all 3.0l do ive been in. Its got covers and a trailer and ive talked him down to $3900. Anything to look for or suggestions would really help. He seems like a straight shooter. Has a stainless 3 prop, got about 37-38mph out of it with 2 guys and 3/4 tank gas. Noticed the tach is kinda intermittant, works ok then just drifts off. Im guessing maybe corossion. Floor feels solid as well. Thanks for any help guys! Nice to be back!

NOTE DOUBLE POST SORRY!

Last edited:

KJMach

Cadet
First boat need some advice

In the process of buying my first boat. I test drove it and it runs great. Its a 1993 sea ray 170 17' with a 3.0l mercruiser. The interior looks just about perfect and original. 3 owners all that knew eachother. Im a diesel tech by trade, so i gave it a pretty good look engine wise. Started great cold and after a hot soak. Has that slight hesitation when plaining off cold like it seems all 3.0l do ive been in. Its got covers and a trailer and ive talked him down to $3900. Anything to look for or suggestions would really help. He seems like a straight shooter. Has a stainless 3 prop, got about 37-38mph out of it with 2 guys and 3/4 tank gas. Noticed the tach is kinda intermittant, works ok then just drifts off. Im guessing maybe corossion. Floor feels solid as well. Thanks for any help guys! Nice to be back!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It sounds like a well taken care of boat from your description. One thing I regret never doing when I bought my boat was a compression check. Especially with how fast and easy it is, it's a great peace of mind item to know the used engine is healthy. I would also check the bellows condition and inquire about frequency of change, drive removal for greasing and alignment, etc.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Open the engine cover and have a look at the transom. Have a look at the transom from the outside as well. Examine the deck for soft spots. A boat this old is bound to have some rot. How much it has is completely variable.
Examine the bellows on the drive as well as the drive itself. I'd also check the risers and the flappers. Ask about the impeller in the drive and the u joints and gimbal bearing. Maybe they have all been replaced?
But the first concern I would have is rot. The engine is much cheaper to replace than any structural problem.

Last edited:

KJMach

Cadet
I forgot to ask about the bellows, not exactly sure what they are ill google it. Exhaust sounded quiet, no smoke and for an old carb engine smelled to be burning clean. Engine temps ran around 165-170? Not sure if they run a t stat. Lower unit oil was changed according to him last year and some seals were done. Oil and filter was also done in fall, says he uses20w-50 which i was surprised to hear. The wheel is also off center when going straight so im not really sure why on that either, turns easy no binding and no growling noises from the lower unit. He did say if i shut it down fast after a WOT run it will diesel sometimes. I assume ths may bea normal carb thing, i usually like to idle a lil bit before shutting down anything i own. Tune up was done 2 years ago, i see new plugs and cap and wires also look newish. Doesnt skip, but i agree a compression test is a good idea. If its allowed with forum guidelines i can post a craigslist link that has pictures.

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I forgot to ask about the bellows, not exactly sure what they are ill google it. Exhaust sounded quiet, no smoke and for an old carb engine smelled to be burning clean. Engine temps ran around 165-170? Not sure if they run a t stat. Lower unit oil was changed according to him last year and some seals were done. Oil and filter was also done in fall, says he uses20w-50 which i was surprised to hear. The wheel is also off center when going straight so im not really sure why on that either, turns easy no binding and no growling noises from the lower unit. He did say if i shut it down fast after a WOT run it will diesel sometimes. I assume ths may bea normal carb thing, i usually like to idle a lil bit before shutting down anything i own. If its allowed with forum guidelines i can post a craigslist link that has pictures.

Not normal to keep running. You absolutely need to check this boat for rot.

KJMach

Cadet
Doesnt seem to be rotted, floor has only one stain where the cover meets front windshield and runs down inside. He bought a full cover to prevent this from happening while sitting. Looks to be covered after every use. I wasnt able to confirm the dieseling event, it shut off prompt when i hit the key off several times. Itll rev to about 45-4600. I remember our old bayliner 3,0lx would tach about 48-4900 wot so that seems about right. I also have no clue if this is the 115hp or 125hp model

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
from your other thread.......
Open the engine cover and have a look at the transom. Have a look at the transom from the outside as well. Examine the deck for soft spots. A boat this old is bound to have some rot. How much it has is completely variable.
Examine the bellows on the drive as well as the drive itself. I'd also check the risers and the flappers. Ask about the impeller in the drive and the u joints and gimbal bearing. Maybe they have all been replaced?
But the first concern I would have is rot. The engine is much cheaper to replace than any structural problem. I have looked at a number of older Sea Rays for friends wanting . All of them had rot bad enough I advised my friends not to buy.
Check carefully. These boats rot from the inside out and from the bottom up.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
For 3900 I would buy it but also remember you are buying a 22 yr old boat expect to have engine and hull problems down the road

southkogs

Staff member
I merged everything into one topic KJ. That'll explain some of the double answers above.

KJMach

Cadet
Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and bought it. Honestly it looks really dry and solid under the engine cover. Once it was on the trailer i found no damage to the lower unit and underside looks great for 22years. I did notice the lower unit swings back and forth a bit before the wheel engages in the trailer. Is this due to it having power steering? It didnt seem sloppy driving it but i do drive a 3/4ton dodge lol. Sounds like i did a good buy then?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds good as said 22 years old youll get to know the boat and find any prolems as you go. Enjoy

KJMach

Cadet
Just hoping to keep oil and gas in her and have smooth sailing! Trailer is all good as well news wheels and tires all lights are good. Basically my only two flaws are the dieseling after running wot then shutting it off without idling 30-40sec, and if the lower unit is suppose to have side to side play before the wheel moves imside when engine is off. Wheel is off about 70* driving straight as well

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My Carver has play in it as well works fine. The steerin wheel if the spokes are evenly spaced you shoul be able tto pop off the center cover and set even or you can remove the entire wheel and reset.

KJMach

Cadet
Ok perfect. Thats one less thing to worry about. I turned the engine setting a few times to see if it will fix the tach. With key off it seems to drift away from 0. But i havent ran it yet to see if its accurate. Checked connection at coil that looks ok too as well as connections at tach look clean and greased. I did notice the skag is bent slightly, can it be straightened?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yes im not the expert on that but have heard heat up and pound but have to be careful not to overheat you can hurt the seals

oldjeep

Admiral
The dieseling on a 3.0 can typically be solved by running higher octane fuel.

20w50 is normal for the 3.0