Fins?

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm a slolam ski/kneeboard guy and wanting to try wakeboarding. I picked up an O'Brien Buzz 140 (2004..i think) w/bindings for cheap!

It has holes for the twin tail fins (1 fin each end), but didn't come with them. The PO said they never used the fins and lost them.

I haven't had a chance to get out there and start faceplanting :eek:yet, but I'm wondering if I should try to get some fins before I try??? Size/shape???

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Fins?

most definitely ..... you will need new skegs (fins) on there, otherwise it will make it very tricky o ride the board and will slide out under you almost all the time ..... you can go to marine store to buy them .... I recommend to buy the biggest fins that will fit, as they keep the board the most stable ......

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use to agree with Deejay until recently. The fins do make the board more stable and keep it from sliding out but they are a crutch. In fact you can turn a board just as well without fins - also you can do more tricks (butter slides and surface 180's) without the fins - these tricks are near impossible with large fins in. Also - to really wakeboard you need to learn how to feel an edge. The only way to get good air is to feel out and set a progressive edge. The pressure you put on the edge is what gives you the pop off the wake. If you can not feel an edge without sliding out you will never get good air. The best way to feel an edge is to ride without fins and learn to fell the edge out without sliding out.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

for a beginner skeg are needed to let them get the feel of wakeboarding .... after they can stand up with the board with no effort, you can take off the skegs if you want ...... my liquidforce wakeboard have 8 skegs and I can do any trick without any difficulty ....... so I disagree skegs do not make it impossible to do slides and surface tricks ....

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info...

I found a pair of cwb fins that are about 1.25" tall.

Just have to give it a go and see!

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

for a beginner skeg are needed to let them get the feel of wakeboarding .... after they can stand up with the board with no effort, you can take off the skegs if you want ...... my liquidforce wakeboard have 8 skegs and I can do any trick without any difficulty ....... so I disagree skegs do not make it impossible to do slides and surface tricks ....

No one ever said it was absolutely impossible to do surface tricks with fins. It is just near impossible for a beginner with large center fins. Yours has the fins mounted on the side which are usually smaller than center fins and have less impact on surface tricks than center fins do. anyway fin setup is based on board shape, rider ablity and preference. I think contractor guy did pretty well for himself going with smaller 1.25 fins. However, once he gets the feel for the board and starts trying tricks I think he should take them out. also - I would like to see some video of you doing an off axis blind side 5 without any difficulty.

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last weekend finally got a chance to try. I popped right up, and was cut'n and jumpin right off (OK....more like hoppin) It's a lot easier than the slolam. What a blast!!!

I did try it once without the fins.. I could get up and could keep it under me, but it was way too loose. Tried a 180 several times. just about had it.... then I learned the backside faceplant!

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The trick to riding with out the fins is to learn to turn using the edges of the board rather than pivoting the board on the fin. To really jump you have to set a progressive edge - leaning on the edge harder as you get closer to the wake. Leaning or pressing that edge into the water as you hit the wake is what pushes you up an into the air. If the board is flat on the water as you hit the wake you will not get any pop off the wake and thus very little air if any at all. I highly reccomend buying the video series called "the book" It shows you the best way to position your board and body to get the best air - as well as showing you the basics needed to do more advanced tricks and how to drive the boat for wakeboarding. Keep riding and you will get it. Good luck.