Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That about says it all.
3917C5D2-E46B-4A7D-8EEF-46C716CEF174.jpg

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Ah well, finally done with these. I'm out of resin since the transports have been delayed. When it shows up I'll begin with the other side.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, and if my problems feel big at times, these other boats are in a totally different league of fubar. The one on the right has 2 x 2000hp engines and apparently has some structural damage around the driveshaft. I can't imagine the price of that repair.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah, I did that thing everyone does at some point: vroom vroom and imaginary steering wheel. No one saw me.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I love this boat,...

Thinking it could use a set of big air horns on the roof,................

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It made my day, all the dimensions seem ok. Maybe the steering wheel is a bit low when standing, but it ought to work fine with the inevitable relaxed pace.

The plotter is spot on, the angle ought to be good sitting and standing. The engine gauges will require some shuffling to look at, and I still need to determine a place for the breaker panels and the navtex display.

The plotter, fridge, water heater, transducers, fresh water tank and the navtex are now paid for. Nice to get that bill out of my mind :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh yeah, I was supposed to install dual Kahlenberg horns on the roof until I got the quote from Kahlenberg Uk. I simply couldn't justify the price. I got a really nice compressor operated one from Dhr instead, heavy chromed brass and seems bombproof with less than 1/2 price of the Kahlenbergs. A nice deep tone as well, gives the impression of a much larger vessel.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Oh yeah, I was supposed to install dual Kahlenberg horns on the roof until I got the quote from Kahlenberg Uk. I simply couldn't justify the price. I got a really nice compressor operated one from Dhr instead, heavy chromed brass and seems bombproof with less than 1/2 price of the Kahlenbergs. A nice deep tone as well, gives the impression of a much larger vessel.

I think it's safe to say were gonna need video with sound once they are mounted,......

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Will do! Found a sine wave clip with the same hz, not sure how low that actually is, but it should be just fine.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Yes! Got the first layer of csm on the starboard side mold today. The new resin is great! It wets the glass much faster than the last one, the difference is significant.

The next update will be after this is done, now it's just glassing as per usual for five-six days.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Three layers done! Tomorrow for the fourth. I broke my promise of not updating before it's done, but I came up with a good practical question I could us some help with:

What would you consider to be the KISS method of mounting/installing tanks in the different deck compartments I have? The bulkhead/stringer walls are single skin fiberglass up to about 25cm (10inches) and cored with polyurethane above that. I'm not going to drill holes in the cored part (except with fiberglass tubes pb'd and glassed in place) and I won't be using screws. But apart from that I'm open to all ideas. Can glass any sort of fasteners but would rather avoid complicated constructions.

The tanks are one steel 135 L (35 gallons) for diesel and a 100 L (26 gal) plastic one for fresh water.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! I'll do a modified version of Mr Pascoes method. I'd like to keep the tank removable for inspections and cleaning, so I might follow his advice for the most part, and add two/three ss ratchet straps.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Unwrapping time! Finally, finally done with this part!!!

Still need to figure out how to clean the fillet wax from inbetween the cabin walls and the newly glassed boxes. There's this crevice with wax left in the thin end. Maybe some rotary drill brush or something?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Mike! It'll need some sanding and fixing, the photos are a bit forgiving.