Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/narri/media/0B52C2EF-08D1-4047-97F1-EF7383B7896F.jpg.html]

E5C60610-911A-49F9-9A0E-CABBCE6DBDB1.jpg
[/URL]

Finally! My mistakes are fixed and the windows are in place. Now I'll start figuring out the wiper motor placements and finalizing the inside molds.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
That's what I'm thinking as well. It seems to be a usual way to install either the port- or starboard one, I'll double check before drilling the holes though.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just WOW! Beautiful. Wipers motor can go anyway you need. The motor doesn't know the difference.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! Still need to trim the black butyl rubber oozing from underneath the window frames after I'm done with all the grinding and sanding outside.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a thing of beauty. I know your boat is pretty large, especially compared to mine, but those other boats in the background almost dwarf yours. They have to be amazingly large.

But you've done real good on your boat project. Very nice indeed. As for the wiper motor, yes any way you chose to mount it will work. Some older Jeeps had them mounted on the top if I am not mistaken. :thumb: :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
True! Those things around me are huge. I guess the range is around 54-90ft for most of them. All my problems feel small and insignificant in comparison. Especially when you see how those behemoths are built: no quality anywhere, thin laminate and all they seem to care about is looks. When you look inside lockers and under floorboards most of them are a mess. A Grand banks 52 next to me is an exception though, really well built!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow, nice looking glass! My wipers are mounted at the top of the windshields, which I like. Is that where you're going to mount yours? What wiper motors are you using?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Progress for today, had to build that wonky shelf to find anything from this pile of junk.

Those are Roca w12 wiper motors, also sold as Ongaro in the states afaik.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's a bit of a compromise position wise, the port and starboard motor are a bit too far from the center, but they simply wouldn't fit elsewhere, especially since I'm building this enclosure/vhf-box/shelf on top of them from teak.

Will just have to get used to the slanted-pantograph arc.

Pusher

Lieutenant
It would be cool to mount a motor above and below for synchronized wiping :)
Sounds too complicated and overkill though šŸ˜

Pusher

Lieutenant
Sorry, I didn't reload for updates before posting. They look good up there. Better than fighting gravity I say. You might even have curtains covering them up in the future anyway... who knows.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Slow progress, I ended up regelcoating all the molded parts. Will take a couple of days sanding.

The rails are there just for show, and I still need to seal the searchlight & vent. Still waiting for the proper bolts for the wiper motors.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think it looks great. Very nice build...:thumb: :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah I did that, haven't taken any photos of it yet. But it's a swan neck for cables/hoses from the radar arch/roof inside. Made it out of fiberglass with a smooth molded gelcoat inner finish. Had to split it in half and sand/fair the outside smooth. This way there'll be no seam and it ought to be perfectly leak-proof at least, but pretty it aint :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The milk tube is up on the roof, and the interior molds are covered in six layers of gelcoat.

And the next step is everyones favorite!!!