Finally got her out today, 3 questions:

fireicyhott

Seaman Apprentice
After working for 2 weeks cleaning up and doing some maintenance on my new to me boat I got it in the water for the first time and had some questions. It is a 1990 Four Winns, 225 Sundowner, 5.8L OMC I/O, with only 290 hours on it.

1. WOT for this enging is around 4400 rpm I believe, I couldnt hit 4K with me and one other person and then when we got 4 adults on and 3 kids it wouldn't go over 3K and wouldn't hardley plane out. Also started missing some and may be running rich. Here is what I have done already, drained old gas replaced with high test, new plugs, new distributor cap, changed oil in engine, cleaned carb and air cleaner, various checks and greasing. The prop is in good shape, although I have a SS one, I don't know that the prop has anything to do with it not running as fast as it should and missing at the end of the day.

I think it may be running rich and started fouling the plugs. How hard is the Holley 4 BBL to work on? I know this is a long first one.

2. Trim tabs aren't working properly. Can anyone tell me how to check the hydraulic oil. The pump runs when you hit either switch (L or R) but they don't move up and down.

3. Depth gauge (inside the hull) doesn't work and reads 2.2 feet all the time. Any ideas on this?

4. Speedo doesnt work, should I remove the tube and blow out with air?

Thanks so much. I really want to get the engine working good. It was run last year and then put up with no winterizing.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Finally got her out today, 3 questions:

that's 4 questions, not 3.......that's ok too, more question the better here.......

Engine Won’t Reach Operating RPM - Check

Fuel type or octane Possibly old fuel
Propeller pitch or diameter, damaged blades
Restricted fuel pickup in tank or restricted antsiphon valve.
Crankcase oil volume To much oil will cause aireated oil
Marine growth on hull and drive
Wrong vertical drive gear ratio
Operating at high altitude
Restricted carburetor air intake Flame arrestor clogged
Restricted exhaust outlets in engine, transom bracket or drive
Poor cylinder compression
Carburetor size and type correct for engine
Fuel pump pressure and vacuum Vacuum checks item 3 above
Boat overloaded, or load improperly placed Or improperly trimmed
Engine overheating
Engine timing and ignition system operation Tuneup needed?
Remote control cables and linkage for proper a and travel Throttle plates and carb secondaries opening completely, sorry, couldn't find the link. that's courtesy of dons..........

don't know about the other questions, for the speedo. get a gps. they got real fine new electronincs to that will do it all for ya. depth, speed, gps, chartplotters.......

Last edited:

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Do NOT use compressed air to clean the speedo. Its a delicate mechanism and you will break it if you blow with compressed air. The easiest thing is to get somone to watch the speedo and you blow in the tube at the outboard.
I am not familiar with the OMC drive, but the Mercury Alpha drives have a join between the pitot tube and the rubber pipe that goes to the speedo (on the outdrive). It's easy to disconnect the connector and blow down the pipe to the speedo. If blowing makes the speedo move, then you have a blocked pitot tube!! Again do not use compressed air to clear the pitot tube, just find some thin wire and poke it into the pitot to clean it out.

I have found a can of air that you would use on your computer works real good. you can remove the speedo tube and blow it out. you can also remove the tube from the back of the speedometer and have someone place their finger over it to check for a cracked tube. Usually it is a blockage within the first few inches. or check it by using your hose and removing the tube from the back of the speedometer and flushing water thru it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

As far as the engine goes i would start with a compression test then go from there...

fireicyhott

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I will try working on her tonight. I know the gas is good as I pumped all the old out and put new 93 octane in, along with some seafoam.

I did notice that when we changed the oil that it is a bit high. How much of a problem will this cause? I will pump some out tonight.

Will pull the plugs and look, maybe comression test, will check points and fuel lines.

Thanks,

Jeff