Finally found a Starcraft

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I sold trihull project in favor of a 1965? Starcraft Jupiter. I bought it on a trailer with non-running 1980 40hp Mercury for $175. It has been sitting for 3 years and the motor inside doesn't look bad at all. Most of the floor is out, but all the foam I have run across is dry. The wood that's left is good enough to make templates for the sides and dash. I am trying to do this on an extremely tight budget. I have some seats and pedistals and a nice Wise bench seat. I have been searching, but I'm looking for some quick answers. Is it worth it to try to fix all the little dents and dings? Most of the paint is there and I plan on hitting it with 320 grit and rolling on rustoleum. Will the 40 hp Merc be a decent motor for the boat, or shoudl I start looking for something closer to the 80 hp its rated for? Also, if someone can point me to some pics on how to pull the transom out, that would be great. I would like to save it as much as possible to get a template out of the old one to speed things along. I will get pics tomorrow.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Finally found a Starcraft

Nice price! Can't wait to see the pics. There are no quick answers to those questions. Take time to think about what you want to do and spend. The wish list changes from day to day. Do you want to put a nice new four stroker on it? Do you want to spruce up an older two stroke? That 40 should work just fine if it runs. As for the transom and paint restore, grab a pot or two of coffee and you'll find all the answers in the rebuild posts. Have fun!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The nice thing about that boat is you absolutely can do a budget restore on it and still have a nice safe boat. The 40 will push it ok. In my opinion a 3 cylinder 70-90 is the idea motor for a 16' Starcraft. I had a V4 85 on my Jupiter and it was a bit stern heavy. The transom replacement is straightforward. Remove the motor. Remove the corner caps and capping strip along the top. Remove any bolts going through it. Remove any screws securing the splashwell to it. Hardest part is getting the old wood out as it has usually swelled into place. I've found the best way to do this is to pry up on it from inside the boat with a 2x4 or something similar. Once it "pops" you're good to go and it should slide right out.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like you have done well, welcome aboard.:)

Most of us just leave little dents and dings alone since they are only cosmetic.

If you are good with a ball peen hammer you could try to flatten some out, I think I'd do more damage than good personally.

That 40hp will probably plane the boat out ok with a light load(and do well on fuel) but with people/gear you might want more hp.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the insanity!
minor dents and dings give a tin boat character..as opposed to glass, then it is scars! lol
With a 175.00 purchase price, you should be on the water looking good for another 4 or 500 bucks!

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Finally found a Starcraft...and now the carnage.

Well I've been working on the poor boat only 2 hours at a time. Hopefully I'll get to really get something done this weekend if I can two days off in a row. I have the dash out and some of the foam out. My first question is if I can use 1/4" ply for the floor or should I stick with 1/2"? It seems like the edges of the floor taper down quite a bit, so I was wondering in 1/4" would be better. Thanks.

Star2.jpgStar.jpgStar3.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No way on the 1/4". I used 3/4" on mine! Your deck should be flat in a Jupiter.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw on a JetStar rebuild that 1/4" was used for a curved floor... I figured I'd use 1/2" anyway. I think that's what used to be in it anyway. I may have located a 1970 60hp Evinrude with Hydroshift to barter for my 40 hp Merc. So I'm going to take a look at it this weekend if I get the time. Thanks for the help so far with the quick answers.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you have two stringers in that little rig so 1/2" should be just fine. 3/4" would be totally bomber at a cost of a little extra weight. 5/8" would be a good compromise if ya wanted to. You'll want to leave the 1/4" to those concave decked Jet Stars.;)

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been chipping away an hour here and there and have new rivets in the stringers, windshield off, and now I've just pulled the cap off the transom. What is the best way to try to get what's left of the transom out so that I can at least get somewhat of a template? I doubt that I have enough of the boat taken apart, but I don't want to go any further and drill out rivets that I do not need to. I also scored an almost free 1971 Johnson 85 hp complete with controls that has been sitting and siezed. I'm oiling the cylinders in it now. Motor looks decent otherwise.

Attachments

• transom cap.jpg
    transom cap.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • transom cap2.jpg
    transom cap2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What you can do is pop out the last couple of fasteners that hold the rubrail in and then just pry up a little of that alum deck. Kinda like yo...
P1050094.jpg

Some guys also just trim back what is needed to get the transom out but not too much that the corner cap won't cover it.

Have fun!

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS! Also, I'm still in a tight budget and STILL finding little holes and dents everywhere from "accessories". I am considering using JB Weld as opposed to Marine Tex (cost) to fill the holes and level some of the larger dents and divots. I'm by no means looking for perfection, but I want to make it a bit better. I am also open to Marine Tex cost alternatives... not just JB Weld. I also have 2 holes where the PO drilled out for some rod holders on the top deck. Any suggestions on how to fill/ cover them up? I will post pics soon. They are about an 1" in diameter.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used JB for my holes and used little squares of aluminum flashing as backers to give it a little more bite and less chance of "popping"

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to drag out my old post, but I have the old transom out, and a new one built, epoxied, and in now. I want to start on the floor... Can anyone point me into a direction of the easiest way of getting started? There was no old floor, so I'm stuck at measuring twice and cutting once kinda situation. I really can't afford to cut twice right now anyway, so I'm hoping to learn from somebody who has done this before. I rivoted the aluminum strips that run perpendicular to the boat, but I can not see how they offer much strength. I plan on reusing most of the old foam since it was dry as a bone. Thanks.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You can make a template out of cardboard, to get the right shape for the deck.

It takes a while but works. Stiffer cardboard will make it easier.

No problem posting here in your thread, any questions you might have just check other threads or post a new reply.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The stringers will be floppy with no deck installed but don't worry, they'll be plenty strong when the deck is attached to them. Also, you don't have to have your deck board cuts that perfect because your side panels will cover it up anyway.