Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Got 2cnd coat of sealer on this afternoon ... Polyurethane goes on tomorrow .. I used my HVLP gun and sprayed the sealer on ..
Kc , I wish I had done this before there would have been a lot less head scratching . I always resort back to my By Guess and By Golly method ...

Decker83

Commander
I have been following your thread but not posting.. That counter top looks fantastic!!! You are a true professional..
I'm getting my patio all cleaned up for you to come over and do mine.. (LOL) Great Job..:applause:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Decker , Nm ,
Decker if we were neighbors I'd be right there to help build what ever ya want ... Will work for beer and food ! ;)
I got the polyurethane on yesterday .. My old purple HF gun was getting old so I picked up another 15 dollar hvlp to shoot it with .. First coat went perfect thinning sealer with 20% water .. Cleaned the gun and shot the second coat after a couple hours ... I could not keep the gun from dripping no matter what I did .. Was really ticking me off ! :mad-new:
I muddled through and got it done though ... I'm for the most part pleased with it ... The Admiral loves it so I guess that's all that matters ..
At least now I can get on to other things .. Still need to install the boxes in the ceiling for the pendant lights . I guess I'll place one at every bar stool location .. I think I will use 5 bar stools .. 4 on the front and 1 on the end ..
Thinking about the rough cut wood going on the base .. My daughter suggested doing a white wash or pickled stain on it .. Kinda like Kc 's porch benches posted earlier .. With all the browns I have going everywhere that sounds like a good idea ...
Hope ya'll have a great Fathers day !!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
here's a lead to look at....repurposed pallets...https://www.pinterest.com/pin/388928117794369591/
5f9d6ed89597ffebffd759fa408b7375.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That is pretty cool ! Mine will be rustic looking but not quite that rustic ...
I have started installing the rough cut wood on the bar and have been playing around with the LED lights and glass blocks ...I hope to have the blocks installed sometime this weekend ... Debating on staining the wood or just sealing it like it is ... The doors have got me scratching my head on how to make ..
Been pricing bar stools also . :eek:
Maybe WOG has some plans for some that I can make . I have my new to me walking foot consew that I have been wanting to try out ... Maybe make the cushions myself idk ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, been away for a while, family and other issues. So I need to caught up on what you have accomplish now, because you always seem to have some great ideas and work to display :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How did I miss this!!! I'm NOT surprised at the quality of the work considering the source. I sent you a PM.
Here's some door ideas.

th

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gm !
Woody got your pm and printed those plans ... Pretty simple design and looks easily modified if I want .. Thinking on a slight angled back rest ... I think just using a wider vertical back support I could cut the angle out of a 2x4 or 2x6 ...
Now if I can just get the time to work on stuff ... Seems every weekend I have to do other less fun stuff ... :cold:
The Admiral wants to go tube down the Itchitucknee River tomorrow ... Frozen butts and sun burnt knees !! :lol:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Ichetucknee-Springs

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got a little done today .. Tubing was a blast but a whole days worth takes a lot out of ya .. Installed most of the pine skin on the cabinets ...

Started installing the glass blocks but I think I need to drop back and punt on the installation ..
As you see I am using shims to set them in place and it will be siliconed in place ... I wanted to get some at the back of the block so basically just put a blob in there then set the block ... This just looks kind of goobery and inconsistent ...
So my thought was to cut a plywood strip that I can screw in just behind the blocks ... That was I can layy a nice even bead of caulk up against the plywood back stop then shim and spot caulk in place ... Let that set then fill the rest of the void up solid ...
The LED lights will go in that 1/4" space at the front edge of the block . Then I will trim the edges with the pine ...
The blue inset at the end of the bar will be where I stash the fire extinguishers..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
. Let that set then fill the rest of the void up solid ...

Sam you could also finish off the the face with a grout around the blocks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Always something interesting to see when I visit this thread. Nice work Sam.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
Kc , Thats the plan but using silicone so the light can still pass through ... I wanted to get these in place so after a better strategically placed bead of caulk it worked out ok ... I'll pull the shims out tomorrow then fill the rest of the voids ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Here are a few sample stains .The one on the left is is called something beach ... I call it grey ... Middle is just polyurethane on just the bare pine .. The one on the right is a light pecan stain with p/u over that ... Still have another colors I would like to sample ... The Admiral likes the pecan ..

This gives an idea on what the glass blocks will look like ..
Just my luck the set of lights just quit right after I took this pic . I could not get them to come back on ... Well that's the story of my life :cold:... Hopefully I can return for a new set idk ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think the pecan stain works well with the counter top. JMO!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I like the pecan too. But the big color view with everything that stain might be just a tad too dark. JMHO, Do some more tests or make some areas a color and another different that complement each udder.
But da Boss is da Boss!
Kitchens, beds and baths...women rule. One bad turn and no soup for you.