Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice floor, but i wouldn't want to grout it. :eek: :D Love the inlay Sam. How did it work out with the unlike sizes? Did you search through all the boxes to find enough to do this or just went for it. The edge pieces all seem to be the same size in the pic.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I like your layout and pattern. And also the cut corners. Usually the corners are just square tiles. But you cut your corners from a large tile (at least that is what I am seeing) , and it adds something to the overall layout. I own a wet tile saw and love doing unique layouts in our home. I honestly couldn't afford the labor for anybody else to do it. :thumb:

Pusher

Lieutenant
Sphelps, I used epoxy grout in my shower and it really seems like good stuff. Im curious to hear your thoughts on epoxy versus mortar, sanded versus beaded though.

Epoxy is crazy expensive so maybe that's off the table... Or floor in this case... since you're dealing with such a large area.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I really just open a few boxes and kinda shuffle them for the most part ... Some tiles come out of the box broken so I put them to the side and hopefully use them on borders . Im striking lines every 12-1/16" .. That leaves me with a give or take 3/16" grout joint .. Without the lines I know it would be a total mess ... :lol:
Gm , I did cut the border corners out of a whole piece of tile . I messed up the layout on the middle section ... it's off 6" because I actually wanted a whole tile stuck in the inside corner ... Thats the reason I cut the border corner pieces out of a \whole tile so's the joint wasn't in the same place .... If that makes sense ?
Pusher I will be using un-sanded natural grey grout ... You must seal this tile before you grout at least once otherwise the grout will stick where ya don't want it too ..
Then after grout another couple coats of wet look sealer goes on ..This tile is pretty cheap but once sealed it looks really very nice ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
we have used that same tile but cut down to 6x6 on pools and you hit it on the head seal first grout seal again its a pain but I cant think of any other way to keep grout out of recesses besides masking off every square or using a grout bag ,

Pusher

Lieutenant
Interesting process. I would never have guessed to seal first. I tried to do all my research on random forums and YouTube and it made regular grout sound like the source of all evil. It's the little steps!!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't think the regular grout would be any problem. I tiled our back screened in porch years ago. It has seen water, dirt, freezing temps and basically everything. And not one crack, or any evidence of problem to this day. So use what you like. JMHO

Pusher

Lieutenant
Would have saved $80 :) The epoxy was pretty easy to use though. Like you said GM. šŸ‘

Too much misinformation on the interwebs.

Has it warmed up Sphelps?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep but I got sidetracked with an electrical project .. :facepalm:
Trying to get a line run for my welder and compressor from the house to the garage ... Son in law was supposed to dig the ditch again because he dug it in the wrong spot to start with so today I dug it and got the line in the ground . Next 2 afternoons should wrap that up then back to the tile ...
It's always something ...
epoxy grout is good stuff just a bit pricey ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
don't think sam messing with the sil lol good thing they get along great it appears :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been sidetracked a bit on this .. Had to replace my sump pump for the house waste .. Always a fun filled event .. :rolleyes:
And also had to upgrade the Admirals ride and tow rig .. The Caddy SRX I had was an awful purchase ... Glad it's gone !
On the tile as you can see I needed to make a transition from the slab down to the pool deck ... It was in pretty rough shape .

I stub nailed some lath strips on the vertical edge after I painted it with some bonding agent . Then blocked it in with some reguylar stucco mix . I held it back about a half inch to allow for tile and mastic from the french drain in the deck .

And here is the area in front of the bar .

I have installed the tile at the edge but no picks of it yet . So now all I have left is the tile behind the bar and backsplash ..
I'll get it eventually . I cleaned up that space and moved the saw and have it ready for the tile now . This weekend hopefully ..
An early Valentine gift to the Admiral just in case I forget .. :facepalm:
2013 Durango Hemi Crew .

I do think it will pull the boat with no problems ..

Tnstratofam

Commander
The tile work is looking great Sam. :thumb: So do the Admiral's new wheels. I'm sure it will pull any of your boats just fine. Especially your Suoer Sharp MFG!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, the tile looks top notch! Can't go wrong with a Hemi...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, you too must own your own tile saw. Because only a person that has one and does their own tiling can make such cuts and designs without paying the extra labor cost for anybody else to do that. I bought a wet tile saw years ago because we, wife and I, do all our own tiling. So we have interesting patterns and designs in our tile work.

You did a very nice layout. :thumb: