Ficht Recalls?

I've got a Evinrude 2000 Ficht 150hp. I purchased this boat & engine (Stratos & Evinrude Ficht 150) from the original owner last year (2005). It had about 12 hours on it. It has about 100 on it now.

I had a problem last week where the vapor separator cap split, causing a fuel leak and inability to start. As I read through various forums I see where the 1999 & 2000 Fichts in the 200-225 hp range were recalled for fuel leaks which caused fires. The MyBoatUS.com comsumer page in fact says "Fuel separators used...are one source for leaks...In hot weather the fuel in the separator expands after the engine is stopped or sometimes in real hot weather just the sun shining on the motor cover causes enough heat expansion to push the top off the canister." (http://my.boatus.com/consumer/200225hpfichtfires.asp)

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO MY 150 FICHT!

Yet I don't find any recall info on the 150hp model.

By the way, the 2000 Stratos 20SS hull is recalled as well, so I guess I'm a 2 time loser!

Does anyone have any info on 150hp Fichts (year 2000) failing (or worse, blowing up) due to this vapor separator cap failing?

I was able to get a replacement vapor separator cap, and installed it last night, but the engine won't start (solid CHECK ENGINE light when I turn the key on), so I suspect this leak caused water to get into my fuel system when the vapor separator cap failed, although I'd love to hear from anyone who might have a different opinion on this.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ficht Recalls?

The internet is full of stuff about the Ficht. It would seem that the Ficht was a big part of the downfall and bankruptcy of OMC. Actually, to me it would seem that it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The camel already had an awful load on his back.

Thanks, I've read a lot about the OMB bankruptcy. I was just curious if there was any info on recalling of 150hp Fichts, since the problem seems essentially the same as they were experiencing in the 200 / 225 hp models.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

intruder said:
Thanks, I've read a lot about the OMB bankruptcy. I was just curious if there was any info on recalling of 150hp Fichts, since the problem seems essentially the same as they were experiencing in the 200 / 225 hp models.

The only FICHT recall was the 200-225 fuel injector retainers and bolts for the 2000 and 1999 models. The 2001 big block V-6's have a recall for the long injector bolts.

There was never a safety recall for the 2000 150 or for vapor separators.

GoTTwins

Seaman Apprentice

seahorse5 said:
intruder said:

The only FICHT recall was the 200-225 fuel injector retainers and bolts for the 2000 and 1999 models. The 2001 big block V-6's have a recall for the long injector bolts.

There was never a safety recall for the 2000 150 or for vapor separators.

GoTTwins

Seaman Apprentice

The retainer bolts were also recalled on my 2004 DI's (Ficht) engines. I also had my cap to my Vapor seperator cracked and popped up with one of the bolts heads broken off. I noticed it at the beginning of the season and I believed it was caused my the water left in the seperator over the winter freezing. The engine ran fine this way until I replaced the seperator/high pressure pump unit. I never got any alarms or running problems.

THanks for the tip. THe service code came up 37 for water in the fuel, so I need to drain & flush...hopefully that's the end of this problem after that.

DHPMARINE

Captain

intruder I've got an idea,can you post two things ?

Model number

Serial Number

I've got an idea

Thanks,

DHP

DHP:
Sorry, I didn't see this until this morning:

Model F150 FPL SSM
Serial G 04836434
Built 02/2000

I've got a Shop manual for reference as well.

DHPMARINE

Captain

No problem intruder.I went online with your serial #,but found no warranty claims on your engine.Probably means no warranty work has ever been done on your motor.Or needed ?

So much for that idea.

DHP

She ran like a champ until two weeks ago.

Using the Clymer manual I've been slowly learning & troubleshooting. THey recommend starting w/ fuel problems in the water separator, but I'll be darned if I can find anything that resembles that component. But the filter threading did have two probes extending into the filter...might that be my water sensor?

I did pull the filter and it was full of water. I emptied it out, put it back on (I'll replace tomorrow), and took the batteries off line in hopes of zeroing out the System Code 37 and Check Engine light. No luck, and it did not light off when I tried to crank again. But I think the juice in my batteries s now too lok to crank, aftermany, many tries. I've got them recharging tonight.

Any other recommendations? I'm putting a can of Sea Foam in tomorrow, changing the filter, and the plugs and trying again w/ a recharged battery.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There were a number of service upgrades from OMC on the fichts up to 1999. Bombardier re-designed some of the components when their 2000 models came out-the first with the bombardier warranty. You should probably check with any Bomb dealer to see if any service bulletins were issued for your model. They will be different than all of them up through 1999. The 2000's run significantly more reliably due to bomb's redesign efforts, but have the stigma of being a ficht. Most of the ficht bad rap did come with the 1999 and older 60 degree engine. the 90 degree big blocks never had the degree of problems that the 60 degree engines did.