ficht powerpack ?

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks,
I have been getting some help from you guys on my evinrude 175 faststrike with piston questions and ring end gap questions. My power pack was going bad also on this motor so I took it off and took it to one of the local marinas to get a replacement. It turned out to be from a ficht . It was a Optical Ignition System 2000. It was on a carbed engine. Is that OK? will they interchange?
My engine was once a 1998 150 ficht that was hit by lightning and had to have a new computer. Shortly after the new computer was installed the engine blew. The rebuild mechanic took a ( unknown year to me) carbed 175 powerhead and installed on the ficht lower and I am wondering if he might have reused the zapped powerpack on my new rebuild. This motor is no longer a ficht. I am wondering if a ficht powerpack will work on an older carbed engine?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: ficht powerpack ?

I am wondering if a ficht powerpack will work on an older carbed engine?

NOPE, not even close in size, shape, style, wiring, operation, or looks.

In fact the FICHT in question uses a computer module (ECU), not a powerpack.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Then how was this powerpack running my motor ? I need to find out what the proper powerpack would be for a carbed faststrike 175. I can assure you that my motor does not have a ECU on it at all. The motor is no longer a ficht. The powerhead was changed out from a 150 ficht to a 175 carbed. The Optical ignition system 2000 was running the carbed 175. What would the proper one be ?

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you (and maybe the Mechanic) may be confused as what was used and not used during the swap, as mentioned, they are not alike, completely different idea.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

just had a thought, maybe (and we are taling very long shot here) the Mechanic just removed the injection system and installed the Carb and manifold setup from the other Motor, I think MAYBE, you could still run the ECU and have carbies, not too sure how good it would be though, but it might work, and could explain your plight!! it would be a miracle though (and I am not fully sure it would work)

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Perhaps me and one of my mechanics are confused,( I have many marinas to choose from where I live.) I found a picture of my motor in my manual and it clearly showed the OIS 2000 on the back of the motor. When I took the powerpack off of my motor and went to the marinas boat shop the guy at the counter helped me to find and buy a new one. As we walked through their shop later he said by the way those ficht motors lined up over there have the same powerpack on them. Several fichts that were being stripped for parts had the OIS 2000 powerpacks on them for whatever reason. I saw that these motors had injectors and not carbs. I am still confused. I do Know my manuals pictures from OMC and my motor match so at least by my book I have the right powerpack. I am calling bombadeir anyway on monday to get some info about the yearmodel of my powerhead from the serial #. This powerhead was added to my old ficht and turned into something different so who knows what is really supposed to be there. Thanks for the help guys, I have learned alot from this forum. It helps to have some input when your lost.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

As we walked through their shop later he said by the way those ficht motors lined up over there have the same powerpack on them. Several fichts that were being stripped for parts had the OIS 2000 powerpacks on them for whatever reason. I saw that these motors had injectors and not carbs. I am still confused.[/I]

I think the problem was that the "parts guy" called the regular motors FICHTS or does not really know the parts used on the different motors, and that is where the confusion lies.

OIS ignitions were ONLY used on carbureted 90 through 175hp engines that used the 60? engine block. They used infrared electric eyes as the timing triggers and a notched timing wheel on top of the flywheel that was thru-bolted to the crankshaft tip.

An OIS power pack mounts on the back of a motor along with the same bolts that fasten the ignition coils.

A 1998 FICHT does NOT have a powerpack as the engine computer (ECU) mounts on the top aft of the powerhead, has fins for air-cooling, and is covered by a plastic cover that directs air over the cooling fins. There is an ignition module that mounts on the back of the motor but it is a lot larger with completely different wiring than an OIS powerpack and it has metal tabs attached for the mounting bolts

I hope this clears up the confusion.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I also called bombadeir with a core plug serial # and found out what year my block was. That was something I didn't know either. My expertise is 3 phase electric motors and their applications , not boat motors. Just tinkering with my engine for my own fun. I did purchase the correct powerpack for my engine luckily. I am trying to go by the manual specs and I take parts to my dealer and mechanic and let him look at them when I can. I had went to another dealer out of town that I have used in the past and apparently got some bad info. Thanks for the help folks.