Ficht Ignition timing using EvDiagnostic software

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my EMM was found to be bad by DFI and they repaired it. I've installed it and the the engine runs, but won't go above 3500 rpm and feels "rough". I need to set the timing. Can anyone please explain the procedure to set the timing using the EVDiagnostic software?
When I go into the ignition timing section of the software and hit the set timing button, the engine always stalls. I can restart it, but the software is now disconnected. Any ideas?
My engine is 2000 200HP.
Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ficht Ignition timing using EvDiagnostic software

When you're running the mtr with the laptop hooked up, go into the fuel section, richen up the injectors and then hit the set timing button and see what happens.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks. I just read the help file and it states that if the engine stalls during ignition test, raise the rpm 200-300 so you're right on track.

Haffiman

Commander

The engine is using the timing to keep the rpm. It simply adjusts it up and down in the EMM. When you hit the 'set timing' this stops and the timing locks. If at the moment 'low' in the timing advance, the engine stops. When re-starting the engine, it goes back to normal operation.
What is important is to first set the timing pointer when cyl 1 it at TDC.
Then when in timing modus, what is stated at the lap top is what the engine believes the timing is. This has to be verified with the timing light.
If your lap top shows 10 and your timing light shows 15, add 5 to the setting. It is a limit how much you may correct at each adjustment and you may have to repeat it several times before getting it correct. To add to confusion, the read out may be different each time you go in as you do not know where in the timing curve it gets stopped. You just have to keep on until you get the same reading both in lap top and timing light.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I verified the TDC point on the flywheel. I still had issues with the engine shutting down when going to set the timing, but I was able to rev the engine to get to a point where I could read and sort of set the timing (within 1 deg). After adjusting the timing, the engine was still running rough, so I checked the spark on all the wires and found #4 had intermittent/no spark! After some basic troubleshooting/elimination I concluded that the #4 coil is bad (the upper one of the dual pack). It looks like the ground strap that goes around the module was worn away in the middle (possibly causing the failure?). I cleaned up the area and tried adding a ground wire, but no luck. The resistance test on the coil shows primary to ground is open.

Question: 1)How come the EMM did not detect this condition and set a code?
Question: 2)I don't see the ground strap as a part # on the diagram. Does this typically come with a new coil pack?

Tomorrow I need to find a new coil pack. Hopefully I'll be able to set the timing more accurately with all the plugs firing :)

Thanks.

Haffiman

Commander

1: You said it had intermittent spark indicating it may have worked from time to time. The EMM needs a consistent failure to give the code. A drop cylinder test or static ign test should have revealed it.
2: Ground strap is part of the coil. Double check by removing another coil. You may even swap the coils around and see if problem follows the coil.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The coil eventually failed to the point I had no spark at all as I was working with it.
I did swap the connections with the coil for #6 and it followed the coil not the EMM wiring or plug wiring. That's how I concluded the coil is bad. I'll check one of the other coils, but I'm sure the strap is on all of them due to the description in the repair manual.
Thank you.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an update for anyone interested. I replaced the #4/#6 coil and was able to set the timing using the software with no problem. As it turned out, the timing was pretty close, within 2 degrees. The motor is once again running good, just in time for the snow storm here in CT!