Fiberglassing a Trolling motor platform - Pix - your input please!

papp101

Cadet
Bought that p-14, didn't connect the dots that it's basically Bondo's standard filler. Hopefully it's better in some way. And hey, when they say a 6 minute set time, THEY MEAN IT. Was hoping to put on a little less, but this will sand out easily with the shop vac hooked up. Maybe even late tonight!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My opinion, I just don't see a need for through bolts to hold this mount secure to the hull. Once everything is finished, I bet you can easily move the boat around using the mount to pull it. That is how strong it will be. And when you do mount the actual trolling motor, those through bolt will add even more support. But that is just my opinion. I have to say It is looking pretty nice. :thumb:

papp101

Cadet
Thanks all!

I definitely could have used less P14. and man, that stuff is HARD. Harder than I'd expect, used mostly 40 and 60 grit manual and power random orbital to knock it down. one of my favorite tools was a paint stir wrapped in a broken 40 grit belt sander belt. worked well for flexing into tight areas.

Here are some pics of the sanded progress.

papp101

Cadet
Whelp, after sanding and time constraints, I decided to just brush 2 coats and sand it flat. I picked a color match off a swatch which never matches perfect, but we'll see how good it looks once I feather the edges. I played with adding a few tints I had from a polyester gelcoat patch kit, and ended up getting a bit closer which was a small win. If I really dont like it, I'll just sand it back and maybe call Bayliner as they can assist with a either a color code, or a dealer match. I probably used 8 oz painting this one.

I catalyzed at 2%, and once it sat for an hour a tacked up I wiped on some PVA to create the cure coat, and will let it sit until tuesday before sanding. I have a test piece I can compare with so I won't jump the gun!

Pics below.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When using PVA on Gelcoat, the normal application should occur just about the time the Gelcoat starts to tack up for you to get the full effectiveness of the product.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
papp101, I have to say I am impressed. Looks amazing and I like the flow between the hull and the mount. Nice transition. I guarantee you, you would not have ended up with anything remotely close to that had you taken it to some marine place to have one made. I like it. :thumb: :thumb:

harleyman1975

Ensign
You can color sand and buff that and it will look factory. We have some of the best glass techs on this site! Much better quality than if taken to a marina to have it done.

papp101

Cadet
Curious as to how you mounted/secured the puck to the platform?

Thanks everyone.

I drilled 1/2 inch holes through the top, inserted a"threaded insert" where I needed threads, then epoxied them in and sanded flush.

To hold the threaded insert in place, i sprayed a 1/4 20 bolt with wd 40, threaded it into the threaded Insert, then pushed it into the 1/2" hole full of resin. Once hard, unthreaded the bolts and had perfect holes with metal threads.