Fiberglass VS Aluminum hull

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fiberglass VS Aluminum hull

The aluminum boats that most speak of are riveted aluminum hulls made from sheet metal or thin welded aluminum hulls. These are not bomb proof and will dent rather easily and there is no repair but to beat it out or live with it. Old aluminum boats look rather dog eared as a result. As well and very important, most are not made for use in saltwater and would most likely fizz up pretty nicely.

There are some rather high dollar, aluminum boats, welded plate metal, extremely heavy duty compared to the sheet metal boat brands like being discussed here largely. These are superb and rugged saltwater machines. Short of a welded plate hull, make mine glass. I have a near 40 year old Boston Whaler 13, if my Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket goes as long and still looks as good, the year will be 2044, get back with me then about how much more rugged those sheet metal boats are, I will be well over 100 though so it may be my kinfolk you will need to get with on it.

I made a day on a tinnie in the salt many years ago. I have never been so beat up and busted down as that day. I would never get on another if there was going to be any chop more than 6 inches unless I was looking to get all of my fillings replaced. To be fair, part of it was the sitting pilot station well forward, my g--- man, can they put a center console in those things so I can stand up when I pilot.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fiberglass VS Aluminum hull

For any big water calm or not I would prefer a glass and the bigger the better. For my local rivers and lakes the deep V tinny serves best when the boat is 14 feet at least. A small open tinny is only good for small quite ponds or lakes unless you like living on the wild side.