Fiberglass Hull Repair - Foreign looking Tape - Can I find more of it?

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Pulling the floor is a easy job for the do it yourselfr guy. I have done 2 now and also replaced stringers and did a new transom on Fiberglass boats. It does take time but really not a lot of money. Just read up, watch some videos and take the advice from everyone on here.

Gtimes

Cadet
It looks like I'm going with this...

Ride it out a few more times at the lake. Gauge what's really going on.
Then making a project of it and seeing if I can really fix this thing. Rip the floor out, and figure out how to repair fiberglass and possible stringers and any rotted wood that there may be.
If it's an absolute disaster after seeing what's underneath, I may have to sell the thing for parts.
Makes me extremely nervous, but I have to imagine this is my only real option at this point...

If I'm wrong, please tell me. I also don't want to pay to have this done, as the boat is only work a few grand in itself.
But emotionally it's worth the world to me. :cold: :facepalm:

Thanks again fellow boaters.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You already got great advice:
I would demand my money back, then with the advice of others on here, repair it or at least do the basics, as in pulling the floor and see what you are dealing with. I would not run it any further, to big of a risk to you or your passengers. To bad the po screwed ya like that. If it was surveyed it would have been found to be an issue.

You shouldn't run it.

Inaccurate transom testing at purchase, and launching a less then safe boat (admittedly they didnt know it was unsafe, but you do) lead to what happened to this member:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...srv195-project

IMO, he's extremely lucky it didnt rip clean off while in the middle of the lake, far from shore.....

Unsafe boats put those aboard at risk, but other nearby boaters and 1st responders are also at risk if bad stuff happens.

I'm sure nobody wants anything to happen, but it still does. Just ask the husband and kids left behind when this adult took a midnight swim AT the marina/dock beside their houseboat:
http://m.wlwt.com/news/coroner-preli...wning/39453886

Tragic.... and didnt have to happen

roffey

Commander
I read the article about the hockey mom who died while going for a swim. Very sad but nothing to do with a poorly maintained boat? I do agree with the other posts and the boat should be looked at and fixed properly and investigated further as to possible damage in the boat, maybe why its cracking the hull?

jbcurt00

Staff member
It was a recent tragic accident that could have been avoided.

The OPs statement to use the boat as is and see what happens is an accident waiting to happen and the member whose transom cracked were examples of accidents that could be avoided and could also end tragically.