Fiberglass Damage - Keel

Chavez1978

Seaman
Hey there, still new to boating. Have thoroughly enjoyed the first season, even though I've had many unexpected repairs, and more to come. Still have a leak that I plan to have fixed during the winter by a mechanic (transom seal so it's gonna be expensive).

Anyhow, water at the lake was down about 9 ft. I was parked up near a beach area with no issues. As I went to pull away (trim was up), the keel must have gone directly over a large rock or ridge. I felt it, but the damage was done at that point.

Once I loaded it back on the trailer I looked at it close-up. It looks to be superficial. About 15-18" long right at the bottom...maybe an inch or so wide at best. What is the repair process here? Is it simply gelcoat or is there other work that needs to be done. The fiberglass still looked solid structurally. Is it recommended I let the marine mechanics to this while they are doing the other work, or is this pretty simple?

thank you in advance for responses. This forum has already saved me a ton of money from the vast amount of information on here.

Pics attached. Sorry they aren't better....
Boat Damage 09012012 1 - Version 2.jpg

Boat Damage 09012012 2 - Version 2.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass Damage - Keel

If the glass is not compromised, then wipe it all down with acetone and mix up some gelcoat paste, smooth it on as best you can, sand, buff and polish.

Chavez1978

Seaman

If the glass is not compromised, then wipe it all down with acetone and mix up some gelcoat paste, smooth it on as best you can, sand, buff and polish.

First, thank you for the reply.

I'll look more closely, but are there any specific things I should look for when trying to determine if it is compromised? I got down close and ran my hand across, inspected for any delamination, cracks, punctures etc...and didn't see anything obvious to my untrained eye....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Look for frayed glass, scrapes, gouges. etc. Try and get some closer up pics!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like standard beach rash to me..

I would just brush a few layers of gelcoat on it and then sand/polish.

Your going to need to acid wash the area first ( unless the bottom is tan to begin with ).

If its a beaching boat .. then you might consider a keel guard and forget the gelcoat repair.

YD.

Chavez1978

Seaman

Thanks all. Any comments on using the gelcoat to repair vs. Marinetex product? I had read that gelcoat can be tough for larger areas...but nobody quantifies what larger is...this damaged area is probably 18" long...right along the keel, so maybe an inch or 2 wide at best.

I should be able to clean with acetone, rough up with 80 grit, then apply, correct?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Correct. Marine Tex is Epoxy based so if you use it, you can not go back to Gelcoat. It will not stick/adhere to expoxy. Well, that's kind of debateable but consensus is it won't adhere very well, with out special preparation. The area in question is not to big to use gelcoat. If you do not have an issue with getting a Great Color match then I'd use gelcoat. You can thicken it, or not. Totall up to you. Thickening it will make the repair go a bit faster, IMHO, and also make it a bit easier to sand and blend but again you can just as easily sand, wipe down with acetone and roll on several coats of gelcoat and be done with it. Totally your choice. Color matching is the hardest part.

Chavez1978

Seaman

Correct. Marine Tex is Epoxy based so if you use it, you can not go back to Gelcoat. It will not stick/adhere to expoxy. Well, that's kind of debateable but consensus is it won't adhere very well, with out special preparation. The area in question is not to big to use gelcoat. If you do not have an issue with getting a Great Color match then I'd use gelcoat. You can thicken it, or not. Totall up to you. Thickening it will make the repair go a bit faster, IMHO, and also make it a bit easier to sand and blend but again you can just as easily sand, wipe down with acetone and roll on several coats of gelcoat and be done with it. Totally your choice. Color matching is the hardest part.

Thank you Woodonglass...what is the natural color of gelcoat? My hull is near white.

thanks again - wealth of knowledge.

Chavez1978

Seaman

One more random question. I couldn't find application coverage on WestMarine's site...would 1 or 2 pints be sufficient for this area I described?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

gelcoat is basically white. I'd guess a pint IF you plan on thickening it with some cabosil. You might need two, and it never hurts to have extra for future repairs. ;)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks all. Any comments on using the gelcoat to repair vs. Marinetex product? I had read that gelcoat can be tough for larger areas...but nobody quantifies what larger is...this damaged area is probably 18" long...right along the keel, so maybe an inch or 2 wide at best.

I should be able to clean with acetone, rough up with 80 grit, then apply, correct?

For something that small I would think something in the lines of 5oz. of gel in a preval should do it.

A Pt. would be fine.

YD.

Matt12345

Cadet

For that I would use marine tex or a similar product. In my experience marine tex is stronger than gelcoat, and if afterward you want to gelcoat over it you can always prime and then gel coat. Gel coat isn't made to fill gouges so I recommend marine tex. I have used it for similar applications with success.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For that I would use marine tex or a similar product. In my experience marine tex is stronger than gelcoat, and if afterward you want to gelcoat over it you can always prime and then gel coat. Gel coat isn't made to fill gouges so I recommend marine tex. I have used it for similar applications with success.

Sure he could go with the Tex to fill it. He could use some cabosil and resin/chopped glass.

Its just through the gelcoat .. why not just prep and spray some gelly on there and sand/buff it out ?

Rocks will damage this area no matter if its Tex or gel .. Filler is filler below the waterline.

Spraying encapsulates the repair .. meaning you dont have an Edge of a repair that allows water into it.

For top side repairs ok.. do the filler/sand/buff only thingy .. It might last a few years before popping.

You need to spray or over coat your repair somehow to get those repair edges away from the elements below the waterline.

Marine Tex should only be used as .. well .. I dunno. No reason for it in my mind aside from a little chip that you dont care about.

YD.