few basic questions.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
ok i just recently got my boat running good again thanks to some smart people describing how to set my esa.

motor: 5.8l, 351 ford
outdrive: omc cobra
year: 1991
hull: four winns sundowner

my questions are:

1. there is a black hose probably 3/8's that is secured unto my starter, looks to be cut off no clue where it goes? it comes from under the engine towards the rear of the boat and about 10 inches past the starter its got a diagonal cut in it.

2. i get condensation on my motor is this from the heat of the cover? water evaporating from inside the hull that little bit that never comes out.

3. my oil preasure seems high to me idling at 40 and anything over about 2k rpm its near 70-75. it does need an oil change and i plan to do that before i go out next time. will changing the oil drop my presure a little bit?

4. i think i need a new impellor either this fall or next week i was out for about 2 hours today and after about an hour and half the temp decided to go above 150 and landed just above 175. so i backed off to idling for about 3 minuites it went down to about 150 and i took off for the ramp by the time i got back the the no-wake zone it was back to 160-170. where should my temp be at? i was told near 160 but if i am doing 20-25 mph i can run it at about 130-140, any more then that it seems to want to jump up to 175 is this normal?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: few basic questions.

Ok,, the hose with angled cut, it just lays in the bottom of the bilge, it's attached to a drain nipple on the very bottom of the bell housing, if your u-joint bellow should ever leak, the water in bell housing will drain from that hose.
That oil pressure is normal for a healthy engine, nothing to worry about there.
Your impeller is simple to change, can be done in 1/2hr easy.
Oh yea the condensation thing.. residual bilge water will condense especially when the nights are cool and days are hot, one reason I'm annal about mopping up and keeping bilge dry.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: few basic questions.

ok thanks i figured most of it was simple crap that i didnt have to think twice on, as for the impellor i did that today litterly 3 minuites.

take 3 bolts out
take 3 more out
take off impellor houseing
take out old put in new impellor facing the right way
put in gasket and metel plate and rubber seal
put in 3 bolts
put in 3 more bolts job done.