Faria SmartCraft Speedometer???

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings-

I have been trying to select the speed input source to be the GPS on my SC1000 Speedometer. The User Manual makes it sound simple (hold - Mode and + buttons for 6 seconds, blah, blah, blah)

All the thing wants to do is go into the depth gauge menu, no matter what I do.

Any experts among us who can assist ? I get GPS speed on the VesselView display, but would also like the speedometer to do the same.

I’m not sure what the input source is currently for the speedometer - if I happen to get to a GPS screen is says ”NO DATA “

I hate these gauges :cautious:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Greetings-

I have been trying to select the speed input source to be the GPS on my SC1000 Speedometer. The User Manual makes it sound simple (hold - Mode and + buttons for 6 seconds, blah, blah, blah)

All the thing wants to do is go into the depth gauge menu, no matter what I do.

Any experts among us who can assist ? I get GPS speed on the VesselView display, but would also like the speedometer to do the same.

I’m not sure what the input source is currently for the speedometer - if I happen to get to a GPS screen is says ”NO DATA “

I hate these gauges :cautious:
What is your gps data source?
How is it connected to the speedometer?

tpenfield

Staff member
It’s part of the smartcraft system. So, assume it comes over the network cable.

here is the antenna (Mercury GPS400)

Not sure if there is a separate feed to the Speedo. I think it is all over the common network cable that connects to all the gauges.
IMG_5002.jpeg

tpenfield

Staff member
If it is a separate feed, then maybe it was sacrificed for the Garmin GPS, which was aftermarket

tpenfield

Staff member
If I push the button enough times, I get to a “GPS speed” screen that says “NO DATA”. So maybe a GPS cable is not connected, but I’m not sure if SmartCraft works that way. 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
I did find an installation drawing- there are a couple of GPS wires that are supposed to be connected. I’ll be checking those to see if that is the case.🤔

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure if this is related to the speedometer/GPS source issue, but . . .

I got a VesselView warning while coming back from a day on the boat . . . it turned out to be a 'Compass' warning of some sort, as if the 'compass' thinks we were lost. :unsure: The warning message said to see dealer soon . . . ( yah right :ROFLMAO: )

IIRC the message read . . .
"Compass Fault Helm-1 Starboard Engine Non-Critical See Dealer Soon"

I've gotten similar warnings in rough conditions, but yesterday was as flat as I've seen in a long time. ( 0.5'-1' waves ). Going about 3800 RPM, 30 MPH. Upon returning to the harbor, the speed readout on the VesselView display did not change . . . stayed at 29 MPH even though we were now at no wake speed.

Upon re-start of the engines after offloading the crew and the empties, everything V-V wise was happy again.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just found some information on the Mercury GPS400 GPS antenna . . .

8M0091565 SmartCraft GPS Antenna 400

Superseded from Mercury part # 8M0079126

SmartCraft GPS Antenna (4.0.12SC) Used with SmartTow Pro SC1000 gauges, MercMonitors, and VesselViews 4 and 7.

Sends CAN H and CAN P GPS data for use with GPS SmartTow and Joystick Piloting boats with Auto Pilot. Software 4.0.12SC

This GPS puck has been commonly used on Joystick Piloting systems. There have been changes to the hardware and software in each version but the look of the puck has been the same.

For joystick piloting systems, the puck is connected to a harness that wires it to the CAN‑H network. The GPS data is then used for most autopilot functions.

For non‑joystick applications, the puck can be used with a harness that wires it to the CAN‑P network through a junction box connector. The puck sends GPS data to the CAN‑P network which can be used on most SmartCraft gauges. It is also commonly used with gauges that have the SmartTow feature.

NOTE: This is not a NMEA 2000 puck and will not function if connected directly into a NMEA 2000 backbone.

So, reading this, it seems like it is for the Axius Joystick . . . not sure if it also provides GPS info to the SmartCraft gauges. :unsure:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You're dealing with 3 sources of data.

Several mentions of gps data is serial. Would explain the puck not being Y2K

CAN P, previously known as CAN 1 carries SmartCraft data. In the world of CAN lines, CAN P carries low and medium speed data. It's a pretty busy communication line as there are a lot of messages being sent back and forth in the SmartCraft system. CAN P is also the backup line for CAN X in the event of a CAN X line failure. Should CAN X fail, throttle, shift, steering and trim commands will be sent on CAN P.

CAN X, previously known as CAN 2, is responsible for transmitting throttle, shift, steering and trim commands. CAN X is a high‑speed line and is very busy with all of the messages being sent back and forth. There is one CAN X line per engine. If it is determined that CAN X communication has failed, throttle, shift, steering and trim commands are then sent over CAN P.

CAN H is a bridge between multiple CAN X lines. CAN H keeps the engines in sync and ensures that both know what is happening on the other. This is essential to accurately control the vessel and is also what makes the extreme maneuverability of Axius vessels possible. CAN H also carries the data for the autopilot module (APM), global positioning system (GPS), inertial measurement unit (IMU), and the helm trackpad (not the remote trackpad–throttle and shift levers).

CAN H is unique to Axius‑equipped boats and vessels without Axius systems will show CAN H as yellow in CDS G3 because CAN H is not present.

CAN V works with VesselView to carry the information related to the house generator and the heating, ventilation, and air
conditioning (HVAC) systems.

tpenfield

Staff member
It does not seem like the manufacturer (Mercury, etc.) could have made this any more complicated. :unsure: My understanding from various Internet folk lore is that many Dealers/Service shops can't figure this stuff out.

All this "CAN" stuff makes my head hurt.

@dingbat . . . Based on your post above, is it a fair assumption that the speedometer gauge (SC1000) should be getting (or able to get) GPS information from the CAN H network.

Are all of these 'networks' running over the same physical wires? I don't recall seeing more than one connector for the various gauges, displays, etc. I recall the gauges being daisy-chained, so I assume each gauge 'grabs' its desired information off the 'network' and ignores the rest. (?)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It does not seem like the manufacturer (Mercury, etc.) could have made this any more complicated. :unsure: My understanding from various Internet folk lore is that many Dealers/Service shops can't figure this stuff out.

All this "CAN" stuff makes my head hurt.
Don't get me started....Welcome to the world of propriety communication protocols ....lol

You're not supposed to understand it. You buy a "black box" from one subsidiary and connect it to a "black box" from another subsidiary. It's magic that you pay to support ;)
@dingbat . . . Based on your post above, is it a fair assumption that the speedometer gauge (SC1000) should be getting (or able to get) GPS information from the CAN H network.

Are all of these 'networks' running over the same physical wires? I don't recall seeing more than one connector for the various gauges, displays, etc. I recall the gauges being daisy-chained, so I assume each gauge 'grabs' its desired information off the 'network' and ignores the rest. (?)
Seeing multiple architectures being used in the literature depending on the product and vintage.

Quite a few reference a "4 port junction box" to tie everything together. Literature also makes reference to PGNs and the ability to utilize Y2K with a "Link" module.

Fortunately, CAN communications and its architecture are widely documented. This should answer a lot of your questions

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

Looks like I was going by the wrong version of the manual. It seems that these gauges are the Faria MG3000 (Not the SC1000). Must have been a senior moment 🤪. . . I did find a wiring diagram in the MG3000 manual that is making some sense. (The manual does not appear to be copyrighted).
Faria-MG3000-1.png
It shows the depth sender feed going into the Speedo and the GPS feed going into the Tach. It seems like it should be the other way around. The Speedo has an active depth display, so I know that is connected. Not sure why it would be set up that way . . . :unsure: I might try switching the inputs next week when I am back on the boat.

tpenfield

Staff member
Another update . . .

I removed the 3-gauge cluster (2 Tachs & Speedo) to get a look at the wiring connections at the back of the gauges. The tachs have no secondary connection, only the primary 12-pin connector. The depth is going to the speedometer as the wiring diagram shows.

I looked around as much as I could for a GPS connector, but could not find anything among the rats nest of wiring at the helm. The pitot tube was connected to the speedometer, but U did not connect the tubing at the outdrive. I'll continue to search for information to see if I can get the GPS feed to the speedometer.