False Economy....

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Was down at the marina yesterday,there's a ramp for member use...along comes a fellow with a trailer about to fall apart..a boat ready to sink and a truck held together with duck tape, boat somehow makes it in the water..and away she goes..about an hour later my friend asks me if i want to go help him retrieve a boat in trouble by the jettys, sure..well its the "project" boat..listing heavy to port,terrified passengers,hook up, tow him back to the marina, haul-out.The bellows was cracked,bilge pump was shot..wiring hanging down...but a new LCD tv in the salon, the owner was bragging on how much money he saves doing his own work,and buying non-marine parts to keep his boat afloat,instead of a blower, he rigged a 12 volt 6" fan to blow fumes around...Unfortunately i see this kind of thing alot, I get people love boating..i understand it costs money..BUT, FOR THE LOVE OF SAM...if you cant afford to do it correctly,safely...dont!! You might not think your hurting anyone by floating a condemnable wreck ,but fact is..leaking fuel/oil damages the waters we love, Explosions resulting from fuel vapors kill people, The urge to go boating can result in loss of common sense..take your time ..fix it right..use marine approved parts..be 100% prior to splashing the craft..then have fun.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: False Economy....

Darwin has a way of dealing with excessive risk taking.

slydog75

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought this was a joke for the first half.. sad.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I recently listened to a story on NPR about the 'digital swap' for television signals and how people are whining about how they can't afford the $30 converter box, yet they have a television in every room, mostly LCDs. Now if these people worked instead of sat in front of that glowing screen for one night.. guess what they would afford? Who am I kidding, they would spend the money on a Tivo and continue complaining about being broke...

That LCD television set could have provided that boat with a new bilge pump, resealing of everything below the water line and a new bellows.. on top of the fact they could have enjoyed.. I don't know.. the WATER if they weren't watching a television blink.

I have an acquaintance who has a television in every room.. even the bathroom, but he gets defensive when you ask him how many months pregnant he is.. Boob tube? Yeah, man boob.

I say next time maroon them on a nearby sand bar and watch them go insane in the knowledge they are missing "their show".

Shizzy

Ensign

Sad that people think they know what they are doing.

BTW, on the converter box deal, with the $40 coupon from Uncle Sam and the $49 box I have seen at Wally World, that means you have to shell out $9....

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

not just boating it's everywhere.
with your experience i wonder how water logged the life jackets were?:rolleyes:
probably had a 1x6 for an oar.:confused:
the transom plug was probably a cork from last nights bottle of wine.:D

salty87

Commander

not just boating it's everywhere.
with your experience i wonder how water logged the life jackets were?:rolleyes:
probably had a 1x6 for an oar.:confused:
the transom plug was probably a cork from last nights bottle of wine.:D

HA...i have a friend who uses a cork for his plug. his boat used to be in great shape and i've watched it get beat to hell in less than 3 years. sad for the boat.

he's also 'the one' that stays out too long before storms or has a leaking tire that he won't get fixed...keeps putting air in it.

some people

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This reminded me of those news shows like 20/20 or Dateline that profiled people on welfare...they all had tv, vcr, dvd, cable. WTF! When questioned, they got defensive about their 'luxury' items. They NEED this stuff!:eek:

Just like most food stamps are spent on booze and cigarettes.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have found that the people that choose to operate their boats,and trucks ect. in that kind of shape seem to have a problem with me when I roll up to the the ramp to put my boat in. Now my boat is an 87 four winns nothing spectacular in any sence but its clean well maintained and just runs and looks great, I take even better care of my truck that is 9 years old now. There are alot of people that are like what was discribed above around me, it never fails every boating trip there is some one making coments about how well i must be doing or they would have that if they had my money. Well truth is I ant ritch but I take pride in what I do and work hard to make sure my equipment is safe, i have found that boatings not that expensive if you do your maintance and save a little for the problems you know you will encounter. I still cant aford to put a flat screen in my boat though!

jonesg

Admiral

Its a self correcting problem,
and everyone is stupid in their own particular way.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont' quit your job, twenty million people on welfare are depending on you!!!!:confused:

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Poor people like boating too!!

Man I see some boating snobs on this site. From the gee your trucks a beater and your boat has moss on it to the my crew of 8 all wear $200.00 inflatable life vests 100% of the time and you should too crowd.

Boating is an activity that everyone tries to enjoy at every level. If you think your enjoying boating more or a better boater because you have $10,000 worth of accessories and the other guy has minimum equipment in his Gahnoo your wrong.

Access is getting tougher and tougher on us all, our disposable income is shrinking faster than my willy in an ice water pond.

Lets exercise some tolerance on the less fortunate boaters out there. They all have a dream to get out on the water too. Just because their not as saftey minded and experienced as others they still deserve a day out.

I'd rather drown fishing then live a long life wishing I was out fishing....

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Poor people like boating too!!

Man I see some boating snobs on this site. From the gee your trucks a beater and your boat has moss on it to the my crew of 8 all wear $200.00 inflatable life vests 100% of the time and you should too crowd.

Boating is an activity that everyone tries to enjoy at every level. If you think your enjoying boating more or a better boater because you have $10,000 worth of accessories and the other guy has minimum equipment in his Gahnoo your wrong.

Access is getting tougher and tougher on us all, our disposable income is shrinking faster than my willy in an ice water pond.

Lets exercise some tolerance on the less fortunate boaters out there. They all have a dream to get out on the water too. Just because their not as saftey minded and experienced as others they still deserve a day out.

I'd rather drown fishing then live a long life wishing I was out fishing....

Tolerance is good - but nobody DESERVES to go boating. It's a privilege. If they can't be safe because they don't have the proper equipment or are drinking too much they have no right to be there! My boat is old also - and I never allotted a lot of money to boating - but you are dead wrong to make the case that people should be allowed to endanger themselves and others just because they can't afford to be safe.

I have a farm pond they can fish in.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Richard...I don't believe any of the thread or many of the members of this forum are snobs. I see plenty of folks from all walks of life on this board offering their advice and their expertise to everyone who has any questions about boating.

What we are concerned about the safety of the people when they go out. There are plenty of example on these boards of folks with very inexpensive boat...but safely equipped and properly maintained. If not, they are getting advice from others in how to remedy their issues.

The fact is this particular person chose to spend his money on luxury item rather than the safety part...would be no different than him buying an expensive stereo and leaving his bald tires on his car. This 'choice' put everyone else in danger. If his boat is in such bad shape, there is a high probability that something will go wrong. I doubt that you would want this person bearing down on your boat with your family aboard if something went wrong.:cool:

td8

Cadet

Just because someone doesn't have a nice boat don't mean they aren't safe. Most of the ones that I see on the lake who are careless an dangerous are the rich guys with the high powered boats that don't have a clue on how to drive them.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I'm not talking about unsafe operation or non functioning equipment. No one should put themselves or their passengers in jeopardy or jeopardize the safety of others assisting them because there vessel is unsafe.

Having minimum required safety equipment and an old beater boat operated responsibly should not be viewed as inferior behavior. It's whats legally required. Can you do better? yes, Is it optimum for every situation? probably not. Is it enough to go out and catch some fish and enjoy a nice afternoon sunbathing on a nice secluded beach? Absolutely! Should the guy in the 40 footer look at you like your rig doesn't DESERVE to be on the water because it's a privilege? NO!

I'm not trying to stir things up but in the past few days I've read a few posts that are really condescending. One was about how ramp fees attract different types and this one. Yea maybe the guys boat had problems but it seems like the poster looked and expected to see problems from the boater before the hull was wet all judged on the look of his rig.

I'm not wealthy and some of the nicest people I've met boating have little to no means and are just out doing what we all try to do, enjoy boating and the community of boaters. I don't think we should consider them less safe because of what they drive, how their trailer looks or the amount of moss on deck. If the motor runs, the bilge pump and lights work and you've got the coast guard safety kit an PFD's on board I say lets go boating :)

Maybe I'm just over-reacting. My wife says I do it all the time :)

skargo

Banned

I'm not talking about unsafe operation or non functioning equipment. No one should put themselves or their passengers in jeopardy or jeopardize the safety of others assisting them because there vessel is unsafe.

Having minimum required safety equipment and an old beater boat operated responsibly should not be viewed as inferior behavior. It's whats legally required. Can you do better? yes, Is it optimum for every situation? probably not. Is it enough to go out and catch some fish and enjoy a nice afternoon sunbathing on a nice secluded beach? Absolutely! Should the guy in the 40 footer look at you like your rig doesn't DESERVE to be on the water because it's a privilege? NO!

I'm not trying to stir things up but in the past few days I've read a few posts that are really condescending. One was about how ramp fees attract different types and this one. Yea maybe the guys boat had problems but it seems like the poster looked and expected to see problems from the boater before the hull was wet all judged on the look of his rig.

I'm not wealthy and some of the nicest people I've met boating have little to no means and are just out doing what we all try to do, enjoy boating and the community of boaters. I don't think we should consider them less safe because of what they drive, how their trailer looks or the amount of moss on deck. If the motor runs, the bilge pump and lights work and you've got the coast guard safety kit an PFD's on board I say lets go boating :)

I know exactly what you are referring to with ramp fees, and I hope YOU aren't misconstruing my comment like that other guy did,
hell, I am the epitome of the budget boater. My boat is 31 years old yet safe and sound. My towrig is 11 years old, yet safe and sound. We just bought inflatable vests, that were ON SALE. See a theme here?

And besides, who cares what some rich guy with a small weiner thinks or how he looks at you. We were ate the Nauti-Goose the other day, and we were probably the smallest boat there, and a few go fast guys looked down on my 21' boat. Did I care? Not one bit, as my junk is all paid for, and I couldn't be happier with my life.

One more time, my statements in the fee based launches ONLY meant I saw better taken care of boats and more safety conscious people at the fee ramps, nothing more. That CaptOchs guy put words in my post that just weren't true.
Just my experience so far.

Yes, you may be overreacting :p:D

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree 100%. I thought you were trying to defend the person the OP was talking about.

Remember that wealth and accumulating wealth have less to do with how much you make and lots to do with how much you spend. Cars and boats are just about the worst place I can think of to spend money. I am always amazed when somebody sees that I have a boat or a nice mustang or a nice house and assume that I'm rich - yet they make as much or near as much as I do. Yet, they have wonderful cars or trucks (nicer than mine), satellite TV (I don't even own a TV), expensive cell phones, four wheelers, and so on. Yet they resent me for what I have.

The people that have really nice boats are probably not the ones who are truly wealthy, unless they are older folks.

learning curve

Recruit

I had to comment on this. I have been boating for about 20 something years, Grew up loving my step dad's Chris Craft and as soon as I could afford it I bought my own. I too was one of those "I hope it works when I need it" guys who always just assumed it work. I had watched my step dad do constant maintenance on his Chris Craft so I always just assumed eveything worked. The truth is you need to constantly be aware of your boats condition to stay safe.
Now as a father I have a nice little cuddy and my oldest son and I have rebuilt an old Glastron CVX 16/90HP rocket. Him and I have not only taken the Coast Guard Safety course together but we have taken everything out of that Glastron and rebuilt it from the floors up. Now not only does he know it is all in great shape, He understand how and why it works as it does. There is a great feeling knowing that you have not only fixed the problem but understand why it had the problem and can prevent it.

Oh and as far as the economy and cable converter boxes. I live north of Boston, We have jobs, we have work, we have plenty of oppurtunity. The economy is just weeding out all the people who somehow assumed they were really worth the $70,000.00 salary for doing and knowing little to nothing. Get an education, get a trade and get to work ! The working class is still fueling this country and this economy !!!!!
Peace out, Gary

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

I was recently stranded at the boat ramp because there were 2 boats on either side of the dock, not working because they figured they'd fix it at the lake. I posted this one in the "We need a dang boat launch ettiquitte session" thread. Basically, when you get that "jump in and go" mentality, you're going to run into trouble. My dad pulled a drunk guy and his kids out of the water after he capsized his boat. He even towed the mostly submerged vessel back to his shore. So the guy gets his boat flipped back over, changes into warm clothes (kids too) and proceeds to hop in a row boat to continue fishing. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he simply forgot to say "thanks" after all that.

I don't think it's condescention at all. It's common sense. I have a 30 and 35 year old rig that run like tops. They're small but they serve my purpose. I get looked down upon all the time, and I get a kick out of it. Because it's always the people who have that "jump in and go" attitude. They drive daddy's new Bayliner pulled by his Dodge Ram Diesel. Always blasting their hard rock, pulling skiiers, trying to appeal to the women. And I know they're the ones who hit the rocks, sand bars, and unfortunately, other boats. I just watch out for them when on the water because I know Murphy is watching and waiting, for the right time to strike....

I just try to watch from a safe distance when he does!