Factory installed voltage sensor relay?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
2015 stingray 234lr
yamaha f250
dual batteries

I have had the boat for a few months and I want to install a dock battery charger. I went to install it and was checking out the wiring and I am confused????
Both leads coming from the VSR are going to only 1 battery. Shouldnt a lead go to each battery?
I looked up the install manual and it does show each battery being connected to the VSR?
Also, both batteries are labeled " cranking", so I need to look into that as well.

not too knowledgeable on VSR's yet, but I believe both batteries need a wire.

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
The (VSR) Voltage Sensing Relay or (ACR) Automatic Charging Relay connect the two batteries together. The battery charger needs to be connected to just one batteries (+ and -). When one battery is being charged the VSR will connect the two bats together which then both get charged. Connect the charger to the start battery

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the drawings I have seen shows it going to both batteries. Do you have one that shows only going to one?
looks like I need to trace out the wires and see were they all go. That's just me "having to figure it out". Just cant let sleeping dogs lie :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The (VSR) Voltage Sensing Relay or (ACR) Automatic Charging Relay connect the two batteries together. The battery charger needs to be connected to just one batteries (+ and -). When one battery is being charged the VSR will connect the two bats together which then both get charged. Connect the charger to the start battery
yep....nothing more than a simple voltage (sense) activated relay connecting the two batteries in series (one big battery) for charging. Disconnects once the voltage in the "starting" battery drops below a preset voltage.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
ACR_alternative_to_multiple.jpg

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine has both positives from the VSR going to only 1 battery.
here is a pic IMG_3885.JPG

alldodge

Staff member
It doesn't look right. The VSR leads should have one each of the wires going to each positive on each battery

vsr.jpg