EZ Loader trailer question

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi i have a 2001 dual axle bunk trailer that I want to rebuild. While I have the boat in the slip. Question is the trailer comes with 12 foot 2x5 bunks. Nobody makes a 12ft bunk. Whats the best wood to use to make the bunk. That I can purchase at the local Home Depo or something. And of course I will be using marine grade bunk carpet.
Thank you.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: EZ Loader trailer question

I've often wondered when it comes time to change bunk boards on my pontoon trailer how Trex(the plastic wood) would work. I Know it's tough as nails, but would it have too much flex? It's also very expensive, but no rot would ever occur.
Anyone else have comment on this,
Mike

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There has been talk about the Trex on here. There made of a different material than the marine grade that someone posted. Theres a company that sells that type of bunk but at a price.

Im just looking at what people have replaced theres with. Because I have to get 12 ft bunks and wrap them with marine carpet.

Jeep Man

Commander

Regular white pine will be as good as anything. If there is aluminium boats or trim involved, don't use pressure treat. Plastic wood is a lot heavier than real wood.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Regular white pine will be as good as anything. If there is aluminium boats or trim involved, don't use pressure treat. Plastic wood is a lot heavier than real wood.

I have a 21ft CC aquasport its fiberglass. Dry weight is 3200, 75 gal tank. and 150hp motor. So Im close to 5000 pounds i guess.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

mine has plain ol sealed 2x6"s with Lowes outdoor carpet.....dont know how it will hold up, but it sure looks alot better. the carpet should hold up fine, it gets wet a couple times a year then the boat covers it from the sun, so i figured theres not much point in getting fancy carpet for 3x the cost.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the Yellow Pages for a local(?) sawmill.
Most would be happy to accomodate with local wood.
For here, probably pine or oak (I'd go pine).

On the otherhand, would they need to be 1 piece or could split work?
Sometimes they can,, other times not.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Go common pine you will wear the carpet out a couple times before the wood will rot if wood rot is your concern. Pine is soft enough it will ding. Which it's better to ding the wood wrather than your hull.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the Yellow Pages for a local(?) sawmill.
Most would be happy to accomodate with local wood.
For here, probably pine or oak (I'd go pine).

On the otherhand, would they need to be 1 piece or could split work?
Sometimes they can,, other times not.

It came from factory with a one piece 12ft long on each. So I'll keep it that way I guess.
I heard pressure treated would work cause it wouldnt rot. But havent heard much from that here tho

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go common pine you will wear the carpet out a couple times before the wood will rot if wood rot is your concern. Pine is soft enough it will ding. Which it's better to ding the wood wrather than your hull.

That was another reason I heard about the treated wood. Not only the rot factor but cause itll be softer on the hull. Oak would be to hard.

Right now the boat is in the water for the summer. And the trailer is in my back yard. So I wanna redo the hole trailer mayb even upgrade from drum brakes to disk brakes.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm thinking doubling up 2 2x6's ought to work. they are 5-1/2 wide by 1-1/2 thick. you end up 3" thick but you get the strength you want.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

rot shouldn't be a problem unless there's too much carpet to let it dry out, so don't wrap it.

We put these teflon pads on top of carpeted wood and the boat (19' carolina skiff) slides right off without sinking the axle. 2x6 with the 2 on top. They warped a little but so what. And I wouldn't have put the pads on the carpet but it was already there.

Check your hull info though. Whalers, for example, can ONLY be stored on rollers on the keel; bunks are just to stabilize. This would not be an issue unless you store the boat on the trailer.

You can use patio carpet and pour some dish soap on it, too.