Eythenol Trouble

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
I have an OMC 460 King Cobra. I noticed that when cruising along on plane, I will start loosing some RPMs. A machanic told me that it was the Eythenol in the fuel that is eatting the rubber away in the carb causing it to block fuel to enter the engine at high RPMs. Has anyone else had this problem? And do I need to rebuild my carb every year? What are my options?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eythenol Trouble

Ahhhhh -- another tech quick to blame ethanol without actually looking at anything. Yes -- if an older boat has a dirty fuel system ethanol blended fuel will clean it up and deposit the gunk in the fuel filter. Some of it may even make its way into the carbs causing runability problems. In older engines that do not have fuel system components that tolerate ethanol, some of those components can degrade and cause problems. So -- are you sure you are even running ethanol blended fuel. If you are, rebuild the carb, replace the fuel filter, clean the pickup in the fuel tank, replace any old fuel line with new line that does tolerate blended fuel. Your engine will then run normally and it will not be a problem again unless you do not have a water separating fuel filter. Install one. If you have a fiberglass (not plastic) fuel tank you have my deepest sympathy.

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At least somone also has a 460 omc it was made to run on up to 10% Eythenol, i have just had to keep the filters clean and have had to rebuild the carb once because the filters were blocked up and dirt got in the carb.Now it"s running top shelf

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If I understand you correctly, you get it up on a plane and it goes to max (correct) RPM (which is 4400-4800 rpm) THEN it slows or pulls back to some lower RPM?

You probably need to replace your filters, check the fuel tank for debris that could be blocking the fuel pickup screen and yes you may need to rebuild or replace your carb.... but it's not due to using Gas+10% ethanol.

The mechanic is mistaken about ethanol causing problems in the carb. except If you were attempting to run E85, you WILL have REAL problems.

Running gasoline with 10% ethanol will not cause those types of problems.

My 460 ran for years on all types of gasoline including California Reformulated gasoline and gasoline containing 10% ethanol. I took the carb apart thinking I had problems and the only thing wrong with that carb was the gaskets were destroyed from taking it apart. It was absolutely clean inside and all the rubber parts were fine. It was a 1987 model and had never been touched..... I still rebuilt it and put it back on since I ruined the gaskets getting it apart.

I have since sold the long block and I kept the carb. It's going on the 292 Y-block in my 1955 Ford F-600.

My 460 had other problems that you're gonna have but they're not related to fuel. You have my deepest sympathy just for having an OMC 460!

Get it running and sell it. But not to someone that hangs out here on iBoats.

Regards,

Rick

I have an OMC 460 King Cobra. I noticed that when cruising along on plane, I will start loosing some RPMs. A machanic told me that it was the Eythenol in the fuel that is eatting the rubber away in the carb causing it to block fuel to enter the engine at high RPMs. Has anyone else had this problem? And do I need to rebuild my carb every year? What are my options?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just for the record, a member of my golf team drives a beater 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (which happens to have a 350 Chevy engine) and he has been running 50% regular gas and 50% E-85 (yes I said E-85 -- not E-10) with no driveability problems. Here iin Minnesota E-85 is $2.22/gal so my '06 Impala (E-85 capable) is also getting a diet of corn squeezin's. My point is, if this old beater car can live nicely on over over 50% E-85, older boat engines will live nicely on E-10. We've got lot's of experience with it since Minnesota has used ethanol blended fuel since 1997.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yes E-10 has been around here on the left coast for quite some time and I've not had any problems running it in everything I own. from carbed to EFI engines.

Just for the record, a member of my golf team drives a beater 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (which happens to have a 350 Chevy engine) and he has been running 50% regular gas and 50% E-85 (yes I said E-85 -- not E-10) with no driveability problems. Here iin Minnesota E-85 is $2.22/gal so my '06 Impala (E-85 capable) is also getting a diet of corn squeezin's. My point is, if this old beater car can live nicely on over over 50% E-85, older boat engines will live nicely on E-10. We've got lot's of experience with it since Minnesota has used ethanol blended fuel since 1997.