extended warranty ?

FSHKPR

Ensign
Looking at buying a 52 inch samsung lcd tv, just wondering if the extended warrantys are something you should consinder. i usually dont buy them. but since this is a pretty hefty purchase i am wondering if i should. thanks

mthieme

Captain
Re: extended warranty ?

...just went through this - bought a 67" Samsung.
The tried like heck to sell me the extended warranty...even called twice after the sale since you have 30 days to back and purchase this.
My rule of thumb with warranty is that it should cost no more than 10% of the value per year. In this case, that's a little high. I didn't think the warranty was that great since they don't swap the unit out and how could two years down the road as they produce new models almost every other month.
Dunno about you, but I have home owners insurance. Anything that happens to this puppy is going to be either lightning or and electrical surge which is covered, minus deductible of course.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Risk/reward my friend. I'm like you. I usually don't and let me explain why

Last 5 big purchases:

52 Panasonic TV ($3500). Purchased the extended warranty. Never had an issue in the 10 years I've owned it.

SLR Camera ($2000). Purchased the extended warranty. Never had an issue in the 10 years I've owned it.

Digital SLR Camera ($2000) Purchased the extended warranty. Have had it almost 3 years, never an issue.

INSERT KNOCKING ON WOOD:

31 ft travel trailer ($25,000) Didn't buy the extended warranty. 2 years old. Extended warranty was additional $2200. No problems.

55 inch Sony TV ($3000) Didn't buy extended warranty. 2 years old, no problems. 1 year warranty up but the expensive parts to replace just got a factory extended warranty until June 30, 2010

I'm saving my $$$ and taking the risk. If I need to replace/repair something, I'll chalk it up to you win some and you lose some. I guess I gamble. Hopefully it'll continue to pan out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have spent thousands on extended warranties on stuff that never broke.

On the other hand, I have spent about $650 on extending (and renewing) the warranty on my 55" Sony TV. So far Circuit City has spent $2100 honoring that warranty in the 4 years I have had it.

Due for renewal in January. Don't know what to do, as CC has filed for bankruptcy. Any suggestions?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Get the extended warranty. I purchased a DVD player/recorder through sears, it is a cheap system. I had problems with it, I took it back and got a new one with no questions. It is ease of mind that if something goes wrong 1year down the road (or longer depending on the plan), as long as the warranty covers the problem you don't half to worry about it.

One thing about it, some of these electronics stores or retail stores will honor the extended warranty. I have been told after buying an extended warrenty that if the model that I bought goes out and that model no longer exists they will replace it with the latest model available.

Dang! CC went bankrupt?? :confused:.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My brother and i bought the same model Sony LCD tvs from Circuit City.
They tried to sell me the extended warranty and i declined.
My brother ended up contacting Sony and bought an extended plan from them for about 1/3 of the price CC was asking.

JB, I will ask him about it.I was going to check for it on mine but never did.
I figure i will get a few years out of this one then upgrade.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I have spent thousands on extended warranties on stuff that never broke.

On the other hand, I have spent about $650 on extending (and renewing) the warranty on my 55" Sony TV. So far Circuit City has spent $2100 honoring that warranty in the 4 years I have had it.

Due for renewal in January. Don't know what to do, as CC has filed for bankruptcy. Any suggestions?

JB, what type of TV is it? Is it a rear projection LCD Sony? KDS55A2000, etc?

If so, check into this link, it may be of value to you.

Sony News/Alerts

There are several of the Sony TVs of that size that are being given extended warranties in Canada and the US until 2009/2010 and yours may qualify

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

My brother and i bought the same model Sony LCD tvs from Circuit City.

Gary

You and your brother should also check out that link I posted above. One of the expensive parts such as the optical block which will run you over $1000 is covered for extended period for free, depending on your model.