Extended time out of water...how long is too long.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
I fully winterized, fogged etc. last October. Everything ran strong when I put it up for the winter. I started to repair a small soft spot on the deck...way too late in the season...and...now I'm facing a transom repair :( . <br /><br />I'm becoming concerned about too much time out of water, running the engine, gas etc. The engine/drive are still in and I'm sure the boat would be fine up if I went for a run then pulled everything for the final repairs.<br /><br />So, should I...<br />1) Dewinterize, put it in the water, run out the old gas etc.<br />2) Put it on muffs or tank, run it on land, just to get everything moving.<br />3) Prepare the engine for an extended shut down, i.e. pull plugs, oil the cylinders, drain gas, etc.<br />4) Don't worry about it, the winterization should hold it over.<br /><br />I expect to have this thing repaired and back on the water as soon as possible but it might take a few more months. If I do nothing (option 4) when should I become concerned? Will another few months be a problem?<br /><br />I know this is not the ideal, but the rot and repairs exceeded my expectations and I want to make sure I don't create additional problems.

Alumarine

Captain
Re: Extended time out of water...how long is too long.

I vote for 4.<br /><br />My boat has frequently gone up to 8 months over the last 30 years without running.

p12

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by marc c:<br /> I vote for 4.<br /><br />My boat has frequently gone up to 8 months over the last 30 years without running.
2nded, I also vote for #4.<br /><br />I'd be a bit concerned about the gas, but so much that I'd do anything about it. I've had a boat run okay on 2 year old fuel, and another that ran okay on a 50/50 mix of new and much older (I'm embarrassed to say how old :( )

DHPMARINE

Captain

I go for #1,run it,use at least half the gas.Refill w/the fresh $$$$ stuff and rewinterize fully ! !<br /><br />Generally rebuild/reconstruct projects go well over deadlines. (more than a year,or more).<br /><br />DHP

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I agree with DHp<br /> only I would toss the old fuel, run it on a remote tank with stabilizer and rewinterive just in case, not only are we trying to protect thge cooling system but all the shiney parts inside. cranck case stor-n-start is very good as well.<br /> even with stabilizer fuel today gets nasty in 6 months or less.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rodbolt,

Stor-n-start? Is this an oil or gas additive? I was also told to use Sea-foam upon dewinterize. Additive was already used at end of season.

How much additive is too much. Others suggest all the additives are unregulated junk and not gas, which is what motors are intended to burn. I'm confused. Water is bad too, but some products suspend water and it gets past the seperator then more problems.

KaGee

Admiral

I'm confused. Water is bad too, but some products suspend water and it gets past the seperator then more problems.

Read the Seafom can!:^

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boats have always been out of the water 6 to 7 months due to the climate and boating location. Properly prepped for storage, one year is reasonable.