Exhaust Riser Elbow Gasket

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Just fired up rebuilt 7.4L Engine and noticed the riser gasket on the starboard elbow is leaking. What is the correct gasket required for this engine? Does anyone happen to also know the torque specs?
OF126634 Pics Attached
Thanks

Attachments

• Engine.JPG
    Engine.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Manifold.jpeg
    Manifold.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got gasket number 27-863724. And torque is 30 lb.ft.

Cheers :thumb:

edit, according to service manual #16.

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for info! Is this a dry installation or should a sealant be applies?

alldodge

Staff member
superfets has you covered, but look real close when you get it apart. In most cases they don't just start leaking, there may be a problem

Edit: it should go together dry

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the information!!! I got the riser gasket replaced and everything looks really clean on the inside. Being a freshly rebuilt engine, I am paying really close attention to virtually everything during the break in procedures.

The boat engine ( OF126634) 7.4L with risers and captains call exhaust system.
What temperature should the manifolds be at operating temperature? The thermostat is cycling and operating properly and the engine is running at 145-150 degrees.
The manifolds seem to be hot and are showing just about the same temp on the IR gun as the engine. How hot can one expect the risers to get?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 gaskets required one is a 4 slot that goes on the manifold first , then the extention block and then another gasket with 2 slots and 2 holes ,then the SS elbow
In the top right photo , the top and left side were leaking into the manifold because the area was eroded away
So, remove and inspect the slotted areas for enough material to seal
DSCN3430_zpstcbvytjn.jpg

DSCN3429_zpseks5eqmn.jpg

Last edited:

Juttmk

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for information! Mine look good and unrestricted. What temp should one expect to see at the manifold and risers?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for information! Mine look good and unrestricted. What temp should one expect to see at the manifold and risers?

It varies, and one will always be hotter then the other. The general rule is if you can put your hand on the riser its ok, even if its only for a couple seconds.