exhaust manifolds needed

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice
it came to my attention today that my old manifolds have had the bun . the boat is a 81 hammond but someone has put an alpha 1 in it acourding to the serial numbers as Don had informed me of .
is it possible to use the 87 and up manifolds and risers ?
i was thinking of going to aluminium and it also looks like the newer style may be less prone to reversion the risers look longer ?

this is what it has right now by the looks of things
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-exhaust-manifold-package-198386-p-253.html

Bondo

Staff member
Re: exhaust manifolds needed

Ayuh,... The manifolds in yer link are a pretty good set,...

Aluminum won't be, if used in the Brine,...

Bondo

Staff member

all fresh water here . the ones in the link are what is on the boat and they cracked internaly

this is what i want to go to less chance of reversion as the water is dupmed a little bit further away MerCruiser HGE 5.0L & 5.7L ALUMINUM Exhaust Manifold Package (1987-2001)

Ayuh,... Those Chinese castin's are known for porous castin's, core shift, 'n poor specs,...

I bought a set of cast iron 1s, 'n had to machine 'em to get 'em Flat at the gasket surfaces,...

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, I agree. I bought a set of those and decided to not run them once I set my eyes on them.
Are you the guy who's thinking about high performance stuff? If you are, get Stainless Marine or IMCO exhaust. If you just can't spend the nearly $2000, you could get GLM which is cheaper. The GLM isn't perfectly made but at least it has some exhaust gas diverters inside the manifolds, and can be had in aluminum. Some folks really hate GLM, but others swear by it. Just check that it seals well at the motor and at the riser.
Or just get standard exhaust, but no HGE it's pretty poor stuff.

Bondo

Staff member

Yup, I agree. I bought a set of those and decided to not run them once I set my eyes on them.
Are you the guy who's thinking about high performance stuff? If you are, get Stainless Marine or IMCO exhaust. If you just can't spend the nearly $2000, you could get GLM which is cheaper. The GLM isn't perfectly made but at least it has some exhaust gas diverters inside the manifolds, and can be had in aluminum. Some folks really hate GLM, but others swear by it. Just check that it seals well at the motor and at the riser.
Or just get standard exhaust, but no HGE it's pretty poor stuff.

Ayuh,.... Mine are cast iron GLMs,...

Britner

Seaman

I just installed 2 brand new GLM's in my 1986 v6 4.3 Mercruiser. Cheap kit,$299 inc shipping, came with 2 manifolds, 4 gaskets and 2 drain plugs. One side fits perfectly, the other side does not seem to seal right. A slight drip is seen, no matter how much I torque the bolts.

Andy.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Any manifolds or risers newly purchased should have a flat file run over the surface first.

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice

yes i have a bit of high performance stuff but money has run out was not expecting to have to buy new manifolds :blue: i talked to one of local marine places today he said he can get me sierra in iron like the one i posted . to be honest i dont really care if they are iron or aluminum . not sure if sierra is any good dude wants 920 for them welcome to canada :mad:

Britner

Seaman

I am also in BC, but have a border within an hour of where I live!! I get these things shipped to Montana Shipping Outlet, then pick up. I did get a price from a local dealer (Cranbrook BC) of $600. $920 sounds steep.

Andy.

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just installed 2 brand new GLM's in my 1986 v6 4.3 Mercruiser. Cheap kit,$299 inc shipping, came with 2 manifolds, 4 gaskets and 2 drain plugs. One side fits perfectly, the other side does not seem to seal right. A slight drip is seen, no matter how much I torque the bolts.

Andy.
I just have the same issue today , had a small drip only one one side won't stop don't matter how tight I had the bolts, so what I did I installed 2 gaskets and problem solved, whatever you do don't get the Chinese ones stay away from Doug Russel...

garyoja

Seaman Apprentice

yes i thought so to
I am also in BC, but have a border within an hour of where I live!! I get these things shipped to Montana Shipping Outlet, then pick up. I did get a price from a local dealer (Cranbrook BC) of $600. $920 sounds steep.

Andy.

Britner

Seaman

Sierra is good, better than my GLM anyway! Not sure about Osco. The price I was quoted was for Sierra. If I did have more money I would have paid the extra for them.

Andy.