Exhaust Manifold - Oil - Water Mixed Flooded Engine :-(

bccsrc

Cadet
Took the 2005 Reinell 4.3 V6 out today. Headed up the river and 2 minutes later it was sputtering and it died.

I lifted the engine compartment lid and what I saw was my worst nightmare!! Oil and Water mixed all over the engine and in the carb. I pulled the air cleaner off and the light brown (water oil mix??) had flooded the carb with this gunk.

The gunk was coming from the left side engine manifold. I am guessing something is cracked.

What do you think is wrong and how much is it going to cost me? :confused:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Exhaust Manifold - Oil - Water Mixed Flooded Engine :-(

The gunk was coming from the left side engine manifold. I am guessing something is cracked.

Howdy,

Worst case?....My guess is that you have a cracked block. and possibly cracked manifold(s) and riser(s).

Plan on at around $1900 for the engine and maybe another $500-600 for a manifold/riser kit + labor.

Cheers,

Rick

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was it the first run of the season?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was the engine winterized properly last fall ???

bccsrc

Cadet

Was the engine winterized properly last fall ???

I know I will take a beating for this but no. I have definitly learned the hard way!!!

Is it possible that just the manifold it cracked?

Yes it was the first trip out of the season.

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well possible yes but probable no.

I would think there may be multiple areas cracked but I think I would start with an engine cooling water pressure test at least at that point you know if your dealing with a motor cooling system breach as to do it you need to issolate the manifolds.

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

remove those manifolds and check internally for cracks the engine might be hydro locked and hard to turn over if water has intruded if there are noticable cracks inside leaking into cylinders replace the manifolds and see what happens good luck