Exhaust elbow rusted.. How to change?

msargius

Seaman
Hi all

I tried to replace my water shutter on the exhaust elbow that is attached to the transom, but the top part of the exhaust elbow is where the shutter holder is installed is all gone. So I need to change the exhaust elbow. Is there a way to remove and install a new one without taking the engine off. I know some will just say take the engine out, install new one and yo are done!!! But I don't have a way to lift the engine.. so I was wondering if someone attempted this before.

Can I run the boat without shutter :rolleyes:
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust elbow rusted.. How to change?

Ayuh,... The shutter is in the Downpipe, not the elbow/ riser...

If the Downpipe isn't repairable where it is,..
Yes, the motor Has to come out of the way...

edit; benchmark; Posts: 28,000.....;)

msargius

Seaman

Thanks Don...
sorry for confyssion of downpipe, with exhaust elbow... in the part diagrams.. That's what they called, Exhaust elbow assembly. That was my understanding...:)

I guess I have to run the boat without shutter for the time being... I have no engine hoist...I will accumulate some stuff for the repair shop to do...

I looked for the price about $220 just for the Downpipe..wondering about the shop cost too...:eek:

I could apply some fussy engineering to this... get a down pipe cut about two inchs from it (the area that is rusted is just the lip of the pipe) then weld it or use epoxy to hold it to the older one that is installed in my boat.. May be cut the old one back also about two inch also.

All of this so I can install a the flapper... Do you guys really think I should go threw the hussle!!

zbnutcase

Commander

It really depends on the boat and where the manifold/riser is in relation to the waterline, if high enough you might slide by without a shutter if you are careful, but I would sleep better knowing one was installed.

Bondo

Staff member

I looked for the price about $220 just for the Downpipe..

Ayuh,... More likely $20.00 on ebay....

Btw,... All I've ever seen are Aluminum...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In my opinion it it there for a reason, but I know lots of people that are running without one. Doesn't make it right, but for the type of boating I do I would give it a try.