Exhaust Bellows Leak?

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I finally got my "project" boat into the water today for a test drive to see what else there is to the "project".

I noticed a fair amount of exhaust coming from the bottom of the gimbal housing. From my understanding, that should only be a relief location, not the normal location. There was not much coming through the prop.

From the hundreds of topics that came up on my search here, I found out that replacing the bellows can be a reat PITA. It sounded like some people were saying that running with NO bellows won't really hurt anything except in a full tilt up, boat beached, wave crashes into back end scenario.

My "project" has a lot of other areas that need work.

Bottom line, "Am I going to harm anything if the bellows is leaking or completely disconnected and I use the boat for a couple months without fixing it?"

I expect to probably do the replacement over the winter. In the meantime, I would like to continue to run the boat and fix other items.

1989 Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha 1 Outdrive

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Exhaust Bellows Leak?

There is also a tube that only attaches at the gimbal housing and slides over the bell housing end. You might even be able to change it without removing the bell housing, but I'm not sure.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Bottom line, "Am I going to harm anything if the bellows is leaking or completely disconnected and I use the boat for a couple months without fixing it?"

Probably not.

I have a King Cobra outdrive that was run for probably 10 or 12 years with NO exhaust bellows.

When I got it from my brother i pulled the drive to replace the drive and exhaust bellows.

Since it was originally a thru hull exhaust there was no exhaust bellows, just a plastic screen where it would go.

About 3 years after my brother bought the boat (new) he had to get the engine replaced....Seems you really DO have to winterize in Calif!!!

Anyway when the shop replaced the engine they installed a Y-tube and Capts Call exhaust diverters.....He didn't however bother to install an exhaust bellows.

My brother ran the boat for another 10 or 12 years until I bought it. When I asked him why it didn't have an exhaust bellows, he said "what's an exhaust bellows?"

The new exhaust bellows I bought had holes in it.....they face-down (draining I presume)

No. It probably won't hurt to run with it leaking or disconnected.

Cheers,

Rick

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I noticed a fair amount of exhaust coming from the bottom of the gimbal housing. From my understanding, that should only be a relief location, not the normal location. There was not much coming through the prop.

Are you sure it is actually a leaky bellows, and not just exiting through the idle relief ports. With the boat in the water, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. At idle, it is normal for almost nothing to exit through the prop.

As stated above, there is no real problem running with a leaky, broken, missing exhaust bellows. However, if the exhaust bellows is bad then so is the one arround your drive shaft, and this one will cause problems if it fails. Check carefully, any signs of cracking - replace them all.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

how did you notice the amount of water exiting from the prop, exhaust bellows, relief ports while in the water?

Just to be clear, the "leaks" that you are describing are OUTSIDE the boat, right?

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

how did you notice the amount of water exiting from the prop, exhaust bellows, relief ports while in the water?

Just to be clear, the "leaks" that you are describing are OUTSIDE the boat, right?

I noticed it when I was flushing the enigne and letting it run for a while after I got home. It was dark, so I did not inspect the bellows.

I took a peek today, and it looks like all 3 of them are intact.

This is my first boat, so I am not really familiar with what is "normal". I just thought it odd there was exhaust coming out at a place other than the prop.

Thanks for all the help.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yea, I have an alpha 1 gen 1 that has a port on each side of the exhaust bellows where the water comes out of too. Some water comes through the exhaust tube, but not as much as the ports. The bellows was replaced with just a tube that is not connected to the drive thus I don't have any flow through the prop at idle on muffs. Good luck.

PS post some pics of your pride and joy.

luis