exhaust bellows hello

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to replace my exhaust bellows on my pre-alpha merc. Do I need to take of the bell housing, or can I just do it with it still on?? If I need to take the bell housing off, how do I on the old style ones? Please help, thanks!!

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: exhaust bellows hello

I'm trying to replace my exhaust bellows on my pre-alpha merc. Do I need to take of the bell housing, or can I just do it with it still on?? If I need to take the bell housing off, how do I on the old style ones? Please help, thanks!!

No need to remove bell housing, just a little "Manual Dexterity".

Bondo

Staff member
Re: exhaust bellows hello

Ayuh,.... Why ya changin' Just the exhaust bellows,..??

If it's rotten, 'n broken, the rest of the bellows are also ready to be changed too....

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
Help with Exhaust Bellows

Help with Exhaust Bellows

Hey, I'm trying to replace the exhaust bellows on my 1975 Mercruiser Model 888. I have the older style bell housing (with out the need for the hinge pin tool), do I absolutely have to take the bell housing off to replace the exhaust bellows, or can I just do it with the bell housing still on there?

Thanks Guys!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Help with Exhaust Bellows

No need to start a new thread...you've got a good one going already. A moderator should combine these two.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I merged the two threads together since it's basically the same question, just a bit more detail.
As mentioned in the first reply, no need to remove the bellhousing for the exhaust bellows, but, as Bond-o so rightly mentioned why just replacing the one?

Are you absolutely sure you are referring to the proper bellows. The exhaust is the very lowest one.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys, I didn't know I had any responses on this yet. Biggest reason I'm only replacing the exhaust and not the u-joint bellows as well is because I'm trying to spend as little as possible right now. I'm trying to get this running for right now, then do a lot of work on the boat over the winter. I just did the water pump as well.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry guys, I didn't know I had any responses on this yet. Biggest reason I'm only replacing the exhaust and not the u-joint bellows as well is because I'm trying to spend as little as possible right now. I'm trying to get this running for right now, then do a lot of work on the boat over the winter. I just did the water pump as well.

How about spending zero? If that is indeed your reasoning to replacing just the exhaust bellows, don't bother at all, since you can completely remove it and still run OK. Unless of course it's busted off and blocking the exhaust port, then just cut it short so it doesn't interfere with anything. Merc now supplies an "exhaust tube" in it's kits (along with an exhaust bellows), as an optional insatallation path, that only connects to the transom and not the drive itself.

Save the money / time and do it all at once and be done with it.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, that makes sense. The whole reason I'm only replacing this right now is because I bought this boat from a guy about a month ago. I only paid $250, and had to do some engine work. I got it running nice, but then noticed the exhaust wasn't coming out the hub cause the exhaust bellows was all torn up. So I shut it off, bought the exhaust bellows, and a water pump kit. I just want to get it running so I can completely winterize it the right way. Over the winter I'm going to do all the seats and stuff. I do want to do everything eventually. It really wasn't a bad buy at all. Just a little work, and it'll be a sweet ride.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

If you are (getting) familiar with merc I/Os, you'll find that on muffs (I assume that's how you'vde been running it initially) not much exhaust comes out the hub anyways... most of the exhaust and water comes out the idle relief ports at the transom. So changing out your exhaust bellows may not give you the results you may be expecting.. just sayin'....:rolleyes:

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I just wanna run it for a couple of minutes so I can work out the tweaks. Can I run it on the muffs without the exhaust bellows on it?

Don S

You could run it forever with the exhaust bellows missing completely. It would be louder and you would turn your transom black after a while, but it wouldn't hurt the engine or the drive.
It might even knock a little off the top speed because the prop is designed to have the exhaust through it. But again, it will not hurt anything.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome, that's really good to know. Thanks guys!

Bondo

Staff member

Yeah, that makes sense. The whole reason I'm only replacing this right now is because I bought this boat from a guy about a month ago. I only paid $250, and had to do some engine work. I got it running nice, but then noticed the exhaust wasn't coming out the hub cause the exhaust bellows was all torn up. So I shut it off, bought the exhaust bellows, and a water pump kit. I just want to get it running so I can completely winterize it the right way. Over the winter I'm going to do all the seats and stuff. I do want to do everything eventually. It really wasn't a bad buy at all. Just a little work, and it'll be a sweet ride.

Ayuh,.... It ain't gotta be runnin' to Winterize it,....

Pull the plugs, 'n hoses, 'n Drain it,..... Done.....

Don S

He will need to get it running and warmed up if he wants to change the engine oil, and fog it. But it sure doesn't need to be running to drain the block and prevent it from freezing and cracking the block.