excessive smoking Johnson V140 1987?

dirkstorm

Recruit
I have a Johnson V140 1987 less than 60 Hours, new lower unit. Has been sitting for 7 years in garage. Some old gas still in tank along with new ( 2 gal.old). 6 gal new. Test run left oil slick on prop and driveway, plus fogged the neighborhood. Should I just empty the tank and start fresh, or any other causes you can think of? Also broken clamp on VRO hose.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I'll bite and make a few suggestions. You are putting into service a motor that has sat un-used for 7 years, correct? If so lets start at the beginning...

You already started it so we can skip fogging the motor by hand.

You will definitely need to repair the broken clamp on the VRO. Properly maintained VRO's are great units but they do need maintenance. Untill you verify that the VRO is functioning properly you should run on pre mix 50:1. (double oil won't hurt a thing) If it were my motor I would drain all the oil from the tank and line. Make sure your oil alarms are working and then reprime system and verify that it is still self priming. The manual states how to do all this.

I would also replace all fuel and oil lines-they are almost 30 years old.

Replace the spark plugs.

Dump out all the fuel. 2 gal of old plus 6 gal new equals 8 gallons of bad. Dont forget to empty the fuel line as well. If it is an old metal tank I would junk that also.

Drain the carb bowls.

Replace the water pump impeller. They take a "set" while sitting and its always best to start with a known good one. Also good time to check that the overheat alarms are working at this time.

Change the lower unit gear oil. While it is empty before re-filling pressure test the lower. Seals have a tendancy to go bad when sitting for so long.

Clean all battry cable ends with a wire brush.

Grease the zirks on the swivel and steering tube and new grease on the prop shaft splines and such.

I am sure others will chime in with suggestions and point out what I have forgotten to mention.