Evirude 1990 50 hp, fuel pump?

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, everyone.

I have 1990 Evinrude 50 hp having a hard time starting until spraying some fuel into the carb. How do I verify if my fuel pump working normally?

what is this called? the orange tab should be down or up? thank you.

Attachments

• 20130915_134504.jpg
    20130915_134504.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evirude 1990 50 hp, fuel pump?

Any suggestions? anyone, Thank you

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

if motor is new to you start with the basics, compression check, spark check, spark plugs good not fouled, wires good, fuel lines good no holes/leaks, filter clean, then check your choke, sea foam treatment then, dissassemble and clean out your carb,
I would start from the beginning as a hard start could be numerous things and these would help eliminate many wasted hours.
now to answer your questions...

to test fuel pump non vro, dissconnect your pulse line and pump your primer bulb until taught it should harden up when your float bowl fills and the inlet needle on you carb closes. look for fuel exiting the pulse line, if so then there is a leak in your fp diaphram. You could also pull the line going into your carb and put that into a cup and crank the motor as well. Also, you could dissassemble and take a visual look at the diaphram, but i would have a kit on hand before taking it apart many fp diaphrams are neglected and never changed out. the orange switch is the neutral kill switch, doesn't let you start the motor unless it is in neutral. good luck.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

should that orange switch being switched down? right now is up or vertical? thank you very much. which one is pulse line? I believe there are 3 lines or hoses. tell me.
more. Thank you.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

the switch works by itself, if shifted into gear it prior to starting it won't start, "neautral safety switch" pulse line is the one going into your crank case.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Can't see the picture very well, but I think you are talking about the primer solenoid.
There are three lines going to it, one brings fuel to the solenoid, the other lines are to feed fuel to the intake manifold, one to each carb mount.
The red lever should be turned over the solenoid body for automatic operation when you choke it using the key switch.
Does the solenoid click when you activate it with the key switch?