evinrude xp150

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice
1985 XP150 starts fine, warm up good, putt putt out of no wake zone good. Give it more gas say half it bogs down then will serge and bog and serge and bog serge but never long enough to get on plane. Then will just take off and run good for hours or 5 min then will bog maybe for just 10 sec then run good. When it is bogging it is as if the throttle does nothing. Does this all through out the day warmed up or first go. I am thinking carbs need to be cleaned/rebuilt. A tech told me it sounds like fuel pump. Also bulb is firm never really needs any pumping other than first start. Help

Greg

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: evinrude xp150

i would lean more towards the crab cleaning, or water in fuel, than the fuel pump.......... especially if you only have to prime it when you first start it, usually when the pump goes out you have to pump the primer bulb to keep it going.

also so you have a water/fuel separator?.......... a regular fuel filter will not keep water out of your eng.

do you use a gas station who sells ethanol?

how old are your fuel lines?..... it has been said ethanol breaks down old fuel lines, you will need to replace them if you havent already.

all your wires and connections in good order?.......

do you use fuel stabilizer?.......... does your boat sit for long periods without use?

last time it was tuned up?

in spite of all my questions i would still lena towards water in the fuel.......... just wanted some more info before we start this chase.

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

fuel lines are good all been replaced, run boat one day every week , nothing in fuel other than 2 stroke oil.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you never said if you have a water/fuel separator. if you dont have one you need one.

ive had problems with water before and that is one of the symptoms.

you also need to make sure it is still firing when this occurs.
if you dont have a timing light you can get a cheap one from your local auto parts store. just hook it to one wire at a time and try to plane out. what you are looking for is the flashes, not checking the timing.

once you have ruled out water in the fuel and you know for sure it is still firing at higher rpms then you can start on the fuel side.

oh and if you dont want to buy and install a water/fuel separator you can go out when the boat has set for a day or so and pull some fuel from the bottom of the tank and put it in a glass jar or something so you can see if it has water bubbles at the bottom. you may have to remove the sending unit to get to the very most bottom of the tank where the water is.

i ran into a similar situation with my dads bass boat........ it would start and idle just fine but as soon as i tried to get on plane and the bow lifted i would suck water up into the pick-up tube...... apparently the tank has a funny shape which allows water to stay away from the pick-up tube while not underway. after i got it home and cleaned out the tank i no longer had any problems............ the story about my whole water experiance is actually kind of funny. i need to put it on the sth forum. it took us 5hrs to go 3 miles, because i ran down the main battery and stole one from the trolling motor, and everytime i thought i had all the water pumped out of the current tank and into one of the empty tanks i would fire it up and take off. we could never get on plane because of the water. i do have a seperator but apparently the tank had like 3 gallons of water after i got done cleaning the tank.

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

I dont have a fuel seperator I did clean the tank a few montha ago, I have spark all is okay there. I just emembeed this, when it is running good if I keep it right around 3200 rpm it will be almost flawless if I increase speed it will bogg within a few min, if I catch it soon enough and throttle down it will keep going.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When the engine bogs, try priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force fuel into the carbs. If it keeps running when you keep priming, you have a weak pump. Does not hurt to take a fuel sample to check for water in the fuel. Double check the tank antisiphon valve. They can get grit/debris in them which impedes the ball movement and can erratically restrict fuel flow.