Evinrude XP 300 slow to plane and prop blowout

Graberic

Recruit
Hello Everyone,
New here, looking for help. I got talked into buying a 1991 Concord LS7 with a 1987 Evinrude XP 300 OB by my wife.
I've had I/Os and smaller OBs, but nothing like this.
The boat is around 23' without the swim platform. The Evinrude is mounted to a Gil bracket on the transom.
Engine has good compression and other than a little smoke at startup, runs fine.
The issue is you have to hammer the throttle to get this thing to plane out and soon afterwards it has a prop blowout.
It has a Hotfoot as well. The prop is a Raker 3 blade but I am not sure of the pitch. 22-24?
I am guessing with the nose cone it is either setup too low or too high. It has some static trim tabs but they do not seem to do much.
Can someone point me in the right direction? Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

View attachment 196055

Attachments

• Concord Setup.jpg
    Concord Setup.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Evinrude XP 300 slow to plane and prop blowout

It's hard to tell from that picture but the motor looks too high.

Graberic

Recruit

That was my initial thinking as well. Is there an optimum depth regarding stern to prop?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Apparently you didn't take a test ride.
Does it ventilate regardless of where you trim? A boat doesn't necessarily use full trim.
A motor on a bracket can be mounted high but it appears its time to lower the motor.
There is no set dimension;I would say lower the motor a hole at a time until the ventilation stops.