Evinrude XP 150 Ignition Problems

vaughan376

Recruit
Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and have a lot of questions. I will try to make this as short as I can. Problem: 1989 Evinrude XP150 model# E150STLCEM with ignition problem.Two years ago motor quit -not firing. Local mechanis said bad power pack; replaced-- back on water--six fishing trips--down again. Local mechanic sent me to another mechanic who replaced what I call the trigger (part under flywheel with six firing points).Back on water for several trips. Boat sat for 3 months during winter, No batteries hooked up. Last spring developed firing problem again, firing on 4 cylinders. 2 not firing #3and #5 cylinders. I tested spark by removing all plugs from engine and made sure they were grounded to block. Out of curiosity I put the old power pack-(one with no fire at all)- back on motor, and now have fire on all cylinders except #6.Replaced pack back to newest one--still not firing on #3 and #5. Moved primary wire going to #1 coil down to the #3; and #3 primary wire up to #1. Now getting fire on #3 but not on #1.I figure coil for #3 must be good--would you agree? If the coils seem to be OK do you think I will have to replace power pack again? Is there something that I am doing wrong that is causing the packs to go out or is this common? Should I unhook the battery to the engine or is it OK to leave it hooked up? Any info on ways to test ignition would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude XP 150 Ignition Problems

Welcome Vaughan...I'm going to move your post to Johnson/Evinrude repair forum. You'll get quick anwers there.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi ya' vaughan....welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Start by taking a look at all grounds. Check that the coil grounds are clean and the pack grounds are solid and clean.<br /><br />Check all your amphenol (these are the rubber plugs that connect the wires together) are clean and no pins are broke. Check on the motor and from the pack.<br /><br />Look for general stuff like wires that may be bare and stuff like that.<br /><br />Yea...sounds like the pack but checking for other causes is always a good idea. By the by...was that a new pack the wrench installed?<br /><br />Also a good idea is to get a service manual for your engine. OEM prefered....this can be ordered from your local dealer. <br /><br />Keep us posted.

vaughan376

Recruit

Thanks OBJ will check grounds, mechanic is good friend of mine, he told me he thought it was pack. I went to dealer and bought new pack and installed myself.When this happened second time we were both "stumped", he made a few calls and came up with liscened mechanic who replaced trigger. I don't have a manual but will get one. Thanks again and good boating to all! JV.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Have someone check the stator output at cranking rpms plugs in, and check again at 3/4000 rpms. After checking the magnets in flywheel. When running at high rpms, engine should be on a dyno or in water in gear.