Evinrude wont start

DARKCLOWN

Seaman
ok i have a 1970 60 hp evinrude mdl# 60072, ser# jo1811. i just got this boat and took it to the lake and it ran ok parked it and went to start it a week later and nothing turn key over and no nosies at all, i got out the voltage tester and tested one side of the solenoid and got power there, and tested the other side with the key turned over and nothing, so i jumped the starter and it turned. so i thought my solenoid was bad so i bought onr here on i boats and i just put it in and im still having the same problems, any help on this? and does any one have a wireing diagram for it?:'(

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude wont start

Remove and thoroughly clean all connections to the battery,solenoid & starter - check the fuses.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure your battery is fully charged .

And that all connections are clean and tight.

Also check the small fuse, that is on the same side as the starter.

Its in a little holder , (inline).

Since it cranked when you jumped across the starter , the fuse is likely blown.

so little, your a faster typer then I am . LOL

KYHunter

Bobby Autry

Seaman Apprentice

DarkClown,

The solenoid you bought from Iboats is it good? Could possibly be a bad part but I wouldn't think so. Is the solenoid grounded, and the ground clean, to the engine block? Do a check on your key switch and the wiring from the key switch going back to the solenoid. make sure all of your connections from your battery solenoid are clean and no corrosion.

DARKCLOWN

Seaman

all the conections seem good and clean i talked to a guy said that the 2 little wires that go to the solenoid that make the thing close might be somthing wrong there and where are the fuses i cant seem to find them

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Look for an inline fuse , in the wiring harness , on the port side.

Try jumping starter , as you did before if it will crank, then it the fuse or ignition switch.

KYHunter

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Engine FAQs, Darkclown. Troubleshoot the starter circuit.

My bet is a bad connection between the ground cable and the engine block.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One white wire comes back from the ignition switch. The other one goes to a safety switch that keeps you from starting it with an advanced throttle. That safety switch is probably where your trouble lies. I'm not 100 percent sure exactly where it is on you motor, but it is somewhere where it is actuated by moving the throttle. Applying 12volts directly to the safety switch without going through the solenoid first will destroy the safety switch.

I can send you a diagram if you will post your e-mail address.

rickd20006

Seaman Apprentice

Just had the same issue tonight. It was the 20amp inline fuse small stubby fused housed by rubber black encasement. Just twist and separate.
Standing behind motor left topside.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Have you ever found the fuse ? DARKCLOWN.

KYHunter

DARKCLOWN

Seaman

yes i found a fuse its a small one a 32v i think and it was blown im going to get a new one today ill post back my findings thanks everyone for the helpd:)

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

DARKCLOWN,

A tip, I replace the inline fuse holder , that takes the glass fuses .

I use a rubber fuse holder , that takes the small ATM fuses, it has a cover on it.

The atm fuses are alot easier to find , most convenience stores, gas stations etc. have them .

Just use the same amperage fuse.

I've never had a problem using these.

KYHunter