Evinrude V4 120GT Looper Mixture Screw Settings

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Let a friend have a shot of my boat for the weekend, when he returned it he said he had adjusted the mixture screws to sort out a "lean Sneeze" Now the engine runs worse than its ever been. He didn't count how many turns he adjusted them by or how many turns they were set at. Can someone please advise on how many "turns out" from gently seated they should be ? Even if i have a starting point then take it from there.
Its a V4 120 looper. i have the service manual for the 140 crossflow but not for this looper.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Starting point is 5 turns out from light seat. Must be adjusted in water, in gear and untethered.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
1990 V4 120 Looper VRO disabled pipe capped and wiring undone.
It had a lean sneeze at idle, apart from that engine ran well.
Gave the boat to a friend said he was a "marine mechanic"
He said he was going to replace the choke primer as it was not pumping gas through the small pipes and would sort the lean sneeze.
Got the boat back
It would hardly tick over when it did it was spouting unburnt gas out the exhaust. Plus would bog down and die when ever i tried to give it throttle.
The mixture screws are all at different settings for 1 turn out through to 7.5 full turns out.
I have cleaned the fast jets behind the drain screws but still cant get it to take full throttle.
Could the VRO be drawing in air after he messed with the fuel lines fixing the choke ?? That still does not work correctly.
Can someone please explain how to correctly set the mixture screws.
I will do a full link and sync after i clean the carbs out. But i have no clue on how to set the mixture screws nor how to get her to take full throttle.
Prior to giving him the boat she ran great bar the lean sneeze.
I am in the Scotland and we have a major holiday this weekend (its friday today)
I have a the grand kids coming to the water with me hoping to get the boat running by Saturday. We have a heatwave 20celcius for scotland that is hot.
Hope someone can help

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Starting point is 5 turns out from light seat. Must be adjusted in water, in gear and untethered.
Still struggling with this motor. I have done a link & sync. She will tick over but will not take any throttle. Just bogs down and stalls. Should start at 5 full turns out then go in or out ?
What should i be looking for ?? Start with them all 5 turns out then work on 1 carb till it gets better then stalls then set them all to that ????

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A tachometer next the engine makes this easier
Start at one carb, adjust till it's better, then move to the next carb and adjust it till it better, repeat with remain carbs, then start over again. It may take several passes. Once that is done, try to accellerate, if there is a bog, try opening each 1/8 turn, and repeat test. eventually you should find a happy spot. When the engineers just put fixed Jets in for idle, it made life much easier for Mechanics

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The electric primer is a valve.----It is NOT a pump!!----It gets fuel pressure from the fuel pump.-----That fuel is sprayed into the engine when key is pushed in while cranking it over for cold starting.-----What other trouble shooting was done to try and find one cylinder that might be lean.