Evinrude/ temp sensors too sensitive?

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm asking for a friend. He's got a 175 Evinrude, I'm guessing around an'88. He hasn't taken th boat out in years because the temperture buzzer keeps sounding at anything above an idle.<br /><br />We changed the water pump impeller, we had the heads off and they were nice and clean. We replace the thermostats. Water is flowing out of the little 'Pee' hole fine.<br />Does anyone know if the sensors that are epoxied into the heads have been known to be overly sensitive?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude/ temp sensors too sensitive?

Are you sure it's heat related? The buzzer also sounds for oil related situations and fuel restrictions. Has he disabled the oil injection and not unhooked the alarm? If the horn is steady and is subject to throttle position it could be a fuel restriction.<br /><br />The senders in the head should not be epoxied in. If they are I would suggest getting rid of the epoxy.<br /><br />Good luck!

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!!<br />I'll have to try and troubleshoot those options you mentioned. He kept thinking temp problems so I just assisted him with the wrenching. <br /><br />Thanks again.

Paddling

Seaman

Tony H,<br />I have an 86 150 evinrude. I had a similar problem last year. My problem didn't show up until about 3000 rpm for 5-10 minutes. The heads have water deflectors in the water passages that direct the flow of water through the head in the correct directions. These are short rubber cylinders about one inch long, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. When they age they get hard, swell up, etc. and change the direction of water flow in the head, usually short circuiting the water across the head without allowing the water to reach the top where the temp sensors are. Also had a salt build up in the head cover that was contributing to the over temp. It wasn't difficult to repair, just needed the deflectors and head gaskets and elbow grease.