evinrude starves for fuel

kenjudy1

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 18 hp 1968 evinrude a great running motor that I use for trolling, it trolls great will run all day , when I run in at full throttle the engine RPMs decrease and the engine will stop, I can run at 3/4 no problem. when the engine stops the fuel lines are empty, squeeze the bulb and it fires right up only to die again. I have changed tanks - left the cap loose richened the carb. nothing helps, any ideas. Ken :confused:

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: evinrude starves for fuel

Take a look at throttle to see if there are adjustment on the carburetor. It might need adjusting there. I would take a look at the throttle adjustment on the carburetor and choke. <br />If you checked the bulb and filter and no air leaks in hose etc. Should be no leaks in the hose connections. A compression check might be next if you have not found the problem. You will need ask some else the what the compression needs to be because I not sure and there are plenty of people on this board that can give you a more precise measurement .<br />Rodney<br />This just my advice that I think will help trouble shoot the problem.

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I forgot to tell you it might be a good idea to check the fuel filter also.<br /><br />This just my advice that I think will help trouble shoot the problem. <br /><br />Best of luck,<br />Rodney

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is the bulb flat when it dies? I would try a new bulb first. An OMC brand if possible. If it is flat, the fuel pump is good and it would have to be from the engine to the tank. Possibly a partially clogged fuel filter would also cause this problem, as was mentioned. If the bulb is still firm or up, I would suspect the fuel pump is weak..

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As things that need to be checked I forget to list this one.<br />I would take apart the carburetor and rebuilt it or at least clean out the best as I could.<br />If you have not yet checked it.<br />It even sounds like there could be something in that carburetor causing this type of problem.<br />Specially the float bowl being dirty with stuff. <br /><br />This just my advice that I think will help trouble shoot the problem. <br /><br />Best of luck,<br />Rodney