Evinrude sportwin10hp cooling problem

Keith Bowden

Cadet
1957 sportwin 10014 sn#50886 ran fine last year this year its overheating, at home now in a water barrel water is coming out of a hole on the head, bottom cylinder, lookes like a plug hole or a bolt hole is this normal?

Keith Bowden

Cadet
Re: Evinrude sportwin10hp cooling problem

yes deep down stuck under the head their it lie one silver frost plug how it got their is beyond me and is possible that the motor was used late in the year and had some water left in it and poped it out. had started the motor stuck my fingure in the hole to see if water would flow properly but not im guessing impeller,I made some calls and couldnt find out when if any the motor was serviced so this is where I sit.<br />Is the motor shot or repairable it seems to run great just not cooling needing help???

Paul Moir

Admiral

Oh, you can repair it. It's pretty easy usually to replace the impeller. As for the frost plug that's popped out, just pop a new one back in (your local dealer should be able to get you one).<br />It's important to get a service manual so you can do the work properly.<br /><br />The outboard should be self-draining. Clearly there's something clogged somewhere. When you have the lower unit off to service the impeller, blow up through the water tube with a hose & tap water to see if it runs clear through.

Keith Bowden

Cadet

Thanks Paul I talked to my brother and he spoke of a unit for larger motors spacificly salt water for flushing the tubes out would their be such a device for smaller motors?

Paul Moir

Admiral

There is but it doesn't fit your Sportwin properly. You need one that fits over the little fin behind the propeller. Unfortunately, the one that fits the smaller engines has been discontinued for a few years now.<br />So the only easy way to flush it is to stick it in a barrel of fresh water. Unless you find the proper flusher at an old J/E dealer.

Keith Bowden

Cadet

Thanks paul ill have some time to tinker this week ill let you know how it goes :)

Keith Bowden

Cadet

Thanks for your help Paul was the Impeller broke up into pieces changed it out but im wondering if the lower unit has a set tourque specification for the bolts their is no gasket and is just bolted together?

Paul Moir

Admiral

No gasket, and there's not really a specification for the l/u bolts. Just use the OMC Standard torques if you want to exercise the torque wrenches:<br /><br />1/4" 70 inch/lbs (4 little bolts)<br />5/16" 130 inch/lbs<br />3/8" 230 inch/lbs (I think the big one in the back is 3/8")<br /><br />Good you found the problem. I find it best to replace the impeller every couple years.