Evinrude Sportwin steering linkage - need help

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got this Evinrude Sportwin 10 with a recent purchase of a Wooster Hellion boat (bucket list!) and can't make sense of how to hook up the steering cable to the outdrive. The unpainted tab with thumb screw comes off but I don't see how it would attach to the end of the steering cable (seen in the middle of the picture. Am I missing a bracket or something?

evinrude steering.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You are halfway between single cable steering and cable/pulley steering. The good news is that there are adaptors.

Go on the steering cable OEM page (Teleflex or maybe now Seastar) and find a fitting to convert to single cable steering. It will have a tube and a u joint and will bolt to the splashwell. You might see if fleabay has a used one, after you figure out what you need.

More modern motors have a hollow, threaded tilt tube, that will accept the steering cable end. Yours is solid, hence the need for an adaptor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
SeaStar was bought out by Dometic, it would seem. This is what you will need to convert the steering to single cable.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you, Chris1956! I would have never got there by myself. Have you seen a picture of what I'm aiming for?

I ended up finding one at marinepartssource.com for 144 and with a reasonably priced 2 day shipping, I should be able to get this ready before we head out for my kid's spring break. (what have I gotten myself into?)

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
one more question: am I getting this kit for the adaptor or for the mounting arm? Because the steering cable is mounted to the transom by a mount similar to the one in this kit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I did not see that in your picture. If the steering cable is mounted thru a tube, and the tube has a ball joint-like swivel, bolted to the splashwell, you just need the drag link from cable to motor.

You might post a picture of the mount.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's an attempt at better pictures.

Also, do you see how far the cable is from the motor mount? It puts quite a strain when trying to get them closer.

Thank you for trying to help me out!

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0693.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, that is hard to see, but it looks like the steering cable is bolted to the hull, without a swivel fitting. The swivel fitting allows the motor to be trimmed and tilted up and still steer. You will need some sort of strong connection from the cable to the motor. A drag link only moves in 2D, versus the swivel mount that moves in 3D. I am therefore not sure that a drag link alone will make it work.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Conclusion:

I made an adaptor to get the single cable system to drive the cable/pulley bracket. I can still remove the outboard easily and even tilt. I used two pieces of 3/8 inch threaded rod welded by one piece of 3/8 inch rod. Bolts and washers hug the bracket "chain links" and a bolt and a half (grinded down) fit and lock into the end of the single cable system.

IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg

Cable - pulley steering has pulleys on either side of the boat even with the front part of the outboard that pull each side of the metallic bracket left/right to steer the boat via ropes that go up to the steering wheel. Very old school but kind of cool.

Single cable system - pushes and pulls the outboard to turn. Almost all boats have this.