Evinrude screen for water in take question?

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I noticed today that one of my boat screen was almost all the way broke off. The other ones appear to be in ok to decent shape for 98 model motor. Should I be concerned about this or just keep a eye on the other ones?

Attachments

• photo290911.jpg
    photo290911.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo290912.jpg
    photo290912.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those screens are fairly easy to replace.---I would replace them ASAP.-----Lower unit needs to come off.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any links or idea where to purchase one? Also do either of you have a link to instructions on how to replace? I have never had to replace a screen before. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Get one at any place that sells Evinrude / Johnson parts.

You have to remove the water pump to get the screen out and in. A new screen is a one-piece thing sort of like a perforated box. Once the pump is off, simply hook onto the old screen and pull it out (it probably will break--that's ok). Then push a new one down into the hole.

Might as well figure on servicing the water pump at the same time.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found one today locally. I am going to try to work on it later this week. Do you have any links to doing the work step by step or youtube.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Do we even know what motor you are working on? Condensed instructions: Disconnect the shift rod (below carburetors), then unbolt and remove lower unit. The water pump will be right there looking at you.