Evinrude replacement cables ends?

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1977 Evinrude 55 hp that I got at a garage sale for 100 bucks from a preacher (so I don't think he would steer me wrong). The only problem he said he had with the motor is that it would flood when taken out of gear. I think that it may just need carb work.
But my main problem is with the cable for gear shifting, the motor will shift find by hand without the cable attached and the gear box works fine without the cable also so I am sure I need to replace the cable. But when I look at the replacement cables they dont have the right end for the control box (model 479). It looks like it would work but the present ones have a plastic fitting on the end. Does anyone know if these are the right ones to order? :confused:

Thanks also this site is the bomb. I have found a ton of great info on here.

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude replacement cables ends?

Thanks for the info. I looked up the cable and like you showed it lists the 400 as being correct but I think the 479 looks right. Here's the ends I have currently. There are set screws on the engine side but I tried to get the trunion nut off (adjuster at engine) and it doesn't go over the cable end, unless I am doing something wrong. Also the part at the controls that holds the cable housing from moving doesn't seem to go over the cable end.

My main question is looking at the 479 cable the control end looks like it would work. It looks to me that they got rid of the plastic end that holds the inner cable and just put a permanent peice on it. Does anyone know if that is true, did they change the end and will it work?
Thanks.

Attachments

• At controls.JPG
    At controls.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • At engine.JPG
    At engine.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude replacement cables ends?

with your control the 479 will work, just save the motor end. there is a hole in the barrel with the 2 allen screws, the barrel has a hole in the the cable slips into and you tighen the allens. just good and firm as they will cut the stainless cable. do not shorten the cable use the adjuster for adjustments.