evinrude oil injection disconnect

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice
my 35 hp evin is an oil injected 3 cyl.(1998)<br />I find that it smokes a lot and sometimes causes a fairly noticable oil slick on the water. I am considering having the oil injection disconnected and going with manual premixing. any thoughts onpros/cons. Is this procedure easy to do opr should it be done in the shop. This model has some sort of governor on it so that if it isn't injecting any oil , it will only go up to a certain speed. How will diconnecting the injection effect the governor?

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: evinrude oil injection disconnect

The "speed governor" you refered to is not dependant on the oil injection function, its based on oil level in the tank. Removing the oil injection isn't a big deal, but will require disabling the oil level alarms too.<br /><br />Although I normally don't advocate removing oil injection units, I do suggest considering it on this particular motor. One other thing that can cause excessive smoking on this model motor, is the recirc lines (clear-blue hoses) on the port side of the block. If one or more get pinched behind the powerpack, it will cause the lower cylinder to load up with oil.<br /><br />Also (ok, 2 other things), you want to make sure the engine is operating at the correct temp.<br /><br />-John

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Hey there John,<br />I, too, have an Evinrude (98 model) but it's a 90 hp. I am also considering removing the oil injection system. Instead of spending the money to have it done, would it be OK to continue mixing about 1/2 quart of oil in the fuel tank just for insurance purposes? Just wondering before I start my heavy fishing season.

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, John. Just curious: you said that you would consider removing oil injection in this model...any particular reason why? Is there some known problem with this model's injection.<br />and thanks again..

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

bp21:<br /><br />What's the model number of your engine??<br /><br />billy-bobby:<br /><br />I've seen a high failure rate on that particular one - the lucky ones had 'em that over-oiled, the not so lucky had to replace powerheads.<br /><br />-John

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Hey John:<br />I"ll have that model number for ya this evening. Just wondering...if I decided to get the oil injection system disconnected, about how much do you think it would cost to have it done?

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

John,<br /><br />Model number on the motor is E90ELECM.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

bp21:<br /><br />You can do it yourself, it's not very difficult at all. If you decide to disconnect it send me an e-mail (jegervais@yahoo.com) and I'll send you the instructions. <br /><br />Again, the choice is your's, but I would leave it alone on that motor.<br /><br />-John