Evinrude model number & shaft length

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at buying and old Evinrude 25hp (I really need more motors). The model numbers are just that - numbers. Is there something that tells me what the numbers mean. I know for Johnson they have combinations of numbers and letters that mean something. Johnson uses an "L" to designate a long shaft.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude model number & shaft length

why not give us the numbers? Evinrude has been building motors since the early 1900s and who knows how many years of 25 hp. motors.There have been various number systems.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Gets complicated, depending on year, because they kept changing the system. Also, on a lot of models you can't depend on the indicator for long or short shaft because they are so easy to change in the field. Can give more info if you can give an idea what year you are looking at.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Copy the following to your browser without the quotation marks and go:

"http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/index.html#e25hp"

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The guy says it is a 1954. Model 25916-09653. That tracks. I think the second #s the SN. Is ther a way to tell the shaft length or anything else from the numbers.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The long shaft version is really easy to spot. There will be a 5" wide spacer bolted in between the lower unit and the midsection. The short shaft version has the lower unit bolted directly to the midsection.

In that era, long shafts were rather rare.

jimh6278

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not seen the motor yet but it is what I am looking for. Now for the big question.Is this a good motor? I have a hard time getting past my paradigm bias to old Evinrudes. My family had a 15hp when I was a kid and my dad and I maintained it easily. I really need a 25 although I have a 20hp right now. And I like the look of the old blue ones. I don’t see the motor until next week so I can’t supply pictures.

Unfortunately the “Obsolete Outboard” guy at Duckworks (http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/articles.htm) doesn’t really like this year. I don’t have a price yet but if all other things check out is this a good outboard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The big twins are great motors.I believe that design came out in 51 and the basic design ran at least to the mid 70s and possibly later.Many routine parts are still available.Great low end torque,a little thirsty.
When new were said to troll or go equally well.
And so easy to work on.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

25916 is a 1954 Big Twin 25hp Electric Start. Has a giant-by-todays-standards 6 volt starter, about as big as a car starter. No generator kit was available. It left the factory as a short shaft, if it has not been converted. Long shaft was a model 25917. They were tough motors, but major improvements in noise and vibration control were made and many parts were redesigned the next year, 1955. Further quieting and smoothness was made in 1958 Lark.