evinrude mate 1 1/2hp

bob smith

Recruit
I can only find one screw for gear oil. Does any one know the procedure for changing gear oil on this model?

bob smith

Recruit
Re: evinrude mate 1 1/2hp

I can only find one screw for gear oil. does anyone know the proper procedure for changing the gear oil on this motor. I think it is a 1968 model 1802

MrGED05

Seaman

Sir:
On the 9.5 hp motor of the same vintage (they're very much alike), the fill procedure is different than you'd expect. Remove the drain plug and what seems logically to be the fill plug. Instead, fill from the lower plug, they want it done that way to prevent air pockets from forming in the lubricant as it is added. Side note, don't use automotive gear lubricant, it tends to foam, that's ok in a rear axle, there's plenty of room for the foam. It is not ok in a confined gearcase on an outboard, there is no place for the foam to migrate, you can easily pop the seals. Use only Marine grade gearcase lubricant.
Gary

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes it is a 1968

Yes it only has one plug so you can ignore the advice for filling a 9.5. I don't know what similarities there are between a 1.5 and a 9.5 but filling the gearbox is not one of them! (That's the 2nd time today MrGED05 has given that advice. What a pity he does not check things out first)

Obviously to empty just tip it out and let it drain. It'll drain more quickly if it's warm so leave it in the sun or a warm corner for a while before hand.

What I do not know is the correct level when filling it. Certainly there should be a bit of free airspace left but in those small engines where there are two plugs the upper one is pretty near the top . Unless someone can advise use some sensible judgement.

The correct oil is an outboard gear oil but I admitted earlier to always using an automotive grade 90 oil hence the crusade against that!