Evinrude Lugging...

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys, when I went out last time, I feel like my motor would ramp all the way up. In neutral, it revved high. When I put it in forward it seemed to be lugging, any ideas? Is my boat too big for it?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude Lugging...

Model #, Horsepower, size of boat; have you run it before without problems? Not enough info for answers.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Is this a 3hp, or a 300hp motor,..?? How Big is yer barge,..??

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry bout that, its a 6hp Evinrude fisherman. The boat is a 14' elgin fiberglass rowboat. I ran it in a drum about a month ago and it revved up like it should. Since then I took off the 2 blade 8 x 7 1/4 and installed a 3 blade 8 1/4 x 8 prop. The 2 blade was cracked, the dealer said the 3 blade would be a good swap and recommended this pitch.

lindy46

Captain

A 6hp on a 14' fiberglass boat isn't going to be a speed demon. I doubt it will even get up on plane.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its no speed demon, thats for sure... But when I had it running in a drum it went WOT and sounded like it. When I had it on the boat in the water it didnt sound like it was going over half throttle when it was wide open.

lindy46

Captain

Possibly running on 1 cylinder. Have you checked spark? It will idle pretty good on 1 cylinder. In a drum, you are running under no load. I don't think I'd be running my motor WOT in a drum. What did you do - take the prop off?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked for spark. I have spark on both cylinders. It just seems sluggish still... I pulled the plugs and cleaned and gapped them, I also fixed the vac leak I had in my fuel feed line. Its much better, just not what I thought it would be... Maybe becuase its a glass boat and is pretty heavy. The video above helps, but I think mine is equal to that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Tin is always faster than glass. LOL...

nwcove

Admiral

Sorry bout that, its a 6hp Evinrude fisherman. The boat is a 14' elgin fiberglass rowboat. I ran it in a drum about a month ago and it revved up like it should. Since then I took off the 2 blade 8 x 7 1/4 and installed a 3 blade 8 1/4 x 8 prop. The 2 blade was cracked, the dealer said the 3 blade would be a good swap and recommended this pitch.

looks like you have to much prop for the boat/motor ,...... and the motor will rev nice in a barrel full of exhaust bubbles, the lake is a whole lot different. the right prop wont gain you much speed on that little motor, but it will make the motor run happier!!