Evinrude Lower Unit Drain Plugs

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
hello,

working on my 1971 85hp evinrude and using iboats forum as a 'guideline'... i bent over this weekend and took a look at my l/u's 2 drain plugs.

both were tight, neither dripping anything.

i noted the top unit quite nice as far as a fastener plug goes. not bunged up at all. :)

on the lower drain plug i note it is quite chewed up on edges of slot. i assume from poor alignment of screwdriver in slot. :(

my med size screw driver is loose and my 30" is too big on flat side to fit the slot. i have an impact screwdriver set and i am planning on setting it up in the slot and using it to break the drain plug loose, and also to set them tight.

i am thinking i can get the drain plugs in snug n tight, and then with some impact from impact screwdriver set it another 1/8th revolution or so to be goodentight.

how do you set the drain plugs to be tight enough? what tools do you use? do u use any locktite Blue?

regards
lakester :cool:

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude Lower Unit Drain Plugs

DO NOT tighten them with the impact. You will be looking for a new gearcase. :-0

The bottom ones get bunged up because they are down low and at a weird angle. I use a short stubby (fat blade) screwdriver.

Buy a new plug for the bottom (drain). Make sure you always use new seals, on the plugs.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I prefer the handheld impact screwdriver myself. Everyone has a preference.

D

DJ

Joe,

That's what I meant. I was always advised to NOT tighten them past what you can do with a regular (properly sized) screwdriver.

I have removed many with the hand impact.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

thanks for tips. mine is hand held too. a craftsman unit. a must for doing harley side covers. :)

i will load the plug with the impact rotating it by hand to set the plug. see how that goes...

tap it to unloosen them.

dj~had planned on a new one for bottom. will use the old one to set up a fixture so as to be able to pressure test the unit when done.

regards,

lakester :cool:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Just switch the lower one with the upper one and it's good to go for awhile.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get they washer/seals for the plugs, then they do the sealing. should be changed every time the plug is pulled.

PW2

Commander

I recently replaced the plugs in my 50 hp for the same reason. The new ones supplied have an allen wrench drive as opposed to the old slot.

It seems to be much more secure and handy for securing the plug after filling.
For how much they cost (about a buck apiece as I recall) it seems a silly place to try to save money.