Evinrude lark 50 hp 1974

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone!! Im getting problem with my first boat i bought 3 days ago. The motor didnt start for about 2 years . It running good on idle but when i put in gear and accelerate it cuts off like the gaz is not burning properly. The spark plug has been changed. ive been told to change the carb kit which i did. and today i found a coil that was cracked so i changed that too... But im still having the same problem. I dont have the manual can someone help me...

D

DJ

Re: Evinrude lark 50 hp 1974

You have two carburetors and two spark plugs. I'm assuming you rebuilt both carbs and changed both plugs.<br /><br />What is the compression on each cylinder?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hello matrix and welcome to iboats!<br /><br />Try this...take a spray bottle with a little premix fuel in it and when the motor starts to bog down, spray some fuel into the carb throat. If the engine picks back up, you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, most likely ignition problem.<br /><br />Take a look at the fuel can and make sure it's venting. When you cleaned and rebuilt the carb, did you soak it out in carb cleaner followed up with blowing out the passages with compressed air? Sounds like a long process but should be done with a carb that has set that long. And also, did you set the float? With the carb body inverted and needle in place, the float should be level with the float bowl gasket surface.<br /><br />Fuel lines....replace any that are hard. Hard fuel lines can lose their grip on connection points. Pull the cover off the fuel pump and check the screen for debris.<br /><br />Spark....check that the spark at each cylinder can jump at least a 7/16" gap with a strong thick spark.<br /><br />Some other things to do, it would be a real good idea to change out the water pump impeller and put in a new thermostat. Setting so long, the impeller, which is rubber, has most likely gotton hard. The impeller needs to be flexable to work right.<br /><br />Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask any questions...Thanks!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You just type quicker than me DJ.... :)

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for answering so fast... DJ i did not check the compression on my cylinder... Shoud be around what ? Obj thanks for all the advise i will try the test with the spray bottle like that i will know if it is carb or ignition problem. for the water pump impeller and thermostat i think i will need the manual becose i got no clue where is located. I read about the reed valve what is that ? I got those on my engine ? thanks have a good day

D

DJ

Matrix,<br /><br />The compression should be around 100 psi in each and with 5-10 psi of each other.<br /><br />If you have compression problems, the rest doesn't mean much.<br /><br />Manuals here.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.outboardrepairs.com/manuals/

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep...what DJ said. Compression should be the place to start.

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys !! Good news! I'm getting close to the problem ... i tried the spray bottle with fuel mix and the engine is working great... but when i stop spraying, the problem appears again .. so tomorrow i will clean my carb. Maybe we forgot to clean some places ?? What about the fuel pump; how can i check that ?? thanks, see ya!<br />You really put a smile on my face today !! :)

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys my brother told me to use ''Guns'' to clean the carb. Is it good?? He said not to put the brass part in it. Do you have some advise before i do that? thanks again !! bye bye ;)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Here in the States we have NAPA stores that sell carb cleaner in the gallon cans. I use it by just putting the carb in a container and pour the cleaner in till the carb is covered. If it's really gunked up, I'll soak it for a long time. It don't hurt the carb or any of the parts. I have never heard of "Guns" before.<br /><br />You will also want to punch out the soft plugs in the carbs so the you can blow the passages out. OEM kits have replacement soft plugs in them.

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

OK thanks obj !!! The soft plug look like what ? I got many little part inside the kit i use for the carb that i didnt use. like ruber ring plastic ring. How can i be sure the fuel pump is good ? thank you<br /><br />see ya !!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Some call them core plugs matrix.....there's one right on top of your carb and one just below that on the starboard side of the carb. The new ones will be rounded a little. You can remove the core plugs with a sharp punch...just go through enough to pop the old core plug out. To install the new plugs, set the plug in the hole curved side up and with a wide flat punch, gently tap it till it's near flat in the hole. A little gasket sealing compound on the top should take care of it.

matrix29

Seaman Apprentice

OK !! Just to be sure those core plugs look like a small dime ?? Im afraid to remove those and not be able to put them back :( i dont have a flat punch i guess i will need that.

Majorslim

Recruit

Hey I have a reconditioned motor for you 50 HP evinrude lark 74 it is running very well and just came off the lake this season...

The Electric shifter is gone so if you have that I have a great motor for you

I am asking $300 Canadian